Russian users report that they can't download Windows 10 and 11

Tudor Cibean

Staff
In a nutshell: Microsoft seems to be blocking people in Russia from downloading its popular operating system, although one can easily get past the restriction by using a VPN service. It will be interesting to see if this is enough to push users to switch to Linux.

Users in Russia are currently unable to download Windows 10 and 11 ISOs and installation tools from Microsoft's servers. People first started noticing the issue over the weekend.

If someone with a Russian IP address tries to download the Windows ISO files directly from Microsoft's website, they get greeted with a message stating there was a problem with their request.

Attempting to download the Windows Update Assistant, Windows Media Creation Tool, or Windows 11 Installation Assistant also doesn't work, with users getting redirected to a webpage with an error message.

Some people in Russia have reported that they are able to download the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool. However, it crashes on startup, generating a 0x80072F8F-0x20000 error.

Users claim that using a VPN service gets rid of these error messages, allowing them to download the files. Ironically, Russia's strict censorship laws block many VPN providers from operating in the country.

Microsoft hasn't yet issued a statement on the matter, so it's unclear if this is just a server error or a deliberate decision taken by the company to protest Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

In March, Microsoft stopped all new sales in the country, joining dozens of Western companies taking similar action. Earlier this month, the company announced it's winding down its business in Russia, resulting in over 400 employees getting laid off.

Permalink to story.

An equally accurate statement would be......
"THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT seems to be blocking people from downloading Microsoft's operating systems"

After all, Windows 10 and 11 are spyware platforms that SHOULD be blocked (if security is your main concern)
Yeah, like any one user is SO special that Microsoft would actively want to "spy" on them. People need to get over it. There is no anonymity on the internet, but Google, Microsoft, etc. doesn't collect anything on you that is of any real value, other than to customize ads - which anyone can block.

An equally accurate statement would be......
"THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT seems to be blocking people from downloading Microsoft's operating systems"

After all, Windows 10 and 11 are spyware platforms that SHOULD be blocked (if security is your main concern)
Yeah, like any one user is SO special that Microsoft would actively want to "spy" on them. People need to get over it. There is no anonymity on the internet, but Google, Microsoft, etc. doesn't collect anything on you that is of any real value, other than to customize ads - which anyone can block.
Indeed. The problem isn't what is happening now with regards to user data. It's more worrying what might happen down the line if, say Google, was somehow acquired by some entity who might want to use the data for a social credit system or similar...

"Microsoft hasn't yet issued a statement on the matter, so it's unclear if this is just a server error or a deliberate decision taken by the company to protest Russia's invasion of Ukraine."

Believe it... It is deliberate...! MS like EU doesn't know it is harming itself...!

Indeed. The problem isn't what is happening now with regards to user data. It's more worrying what might happen down the line if, say Google, was somehow acquired by some entity who might want to use the data for a social credit system or similar...
I'm not going to live my life worrying about what might happen - life is way too short for that. If such a scenario presents itself, I'll deal with it then.

I switched to Linux about a year ago and it's been a lot of fun but for the everyday user I think it will be a little too demanding and unless you're a bit of a nerd that likes working at code level (I am one of those nerds) it can be very, very frustraiting not to mention a lot easier hacked than is widly known.....

I switched to Linux about a year ago and it's been a lot of fun but for the everyday user I think it will be a little too demanding and unless you're a bit of a nerd that likes working at code level (I am one of those nerds) it can be very, very frustraiting not to mention a lot easier hacked than is widly known.....
It is fun to play with, but I make my living on my PC, working part of the time from home. And there are no Linux versions of the specialized programs I use, so I have no choice but to run Windows. Frankly, I'm fine with that. I'm running Windows 11, and haven't had a single issue with it, or Windows 10 for that matter.

Windows 10 and 11 are SPYWARE platforms

If you are using Windows 10 or 11, the NSA / CIA / FBI and others can see everything you are doing as long as you are connected to the Global Internet

Snowden proved that in 2013, and I showed everyone the backdoors all the way back to Windows 7, long before Snowden showed you anything

Yeah, who cares what Microsoft "COULD" do in the future?

You should already care what they are already doing and have been doing for the past 20 years

But you don't, so........Go back to sleep

If you are using Windows 10 or 11, the NSA / CIA / FBI and others can see everything you are doing as long as you are connected to the Global Internet

Snowden proved that in 2013, and I showed everyone the backdoors all the way back to Windows 7, long before Snowden showed you anything

You should already care what they are already doing and have been doing for the past 20 years

Considering that there are several hundred millions computers out there running Windows, I'll take my chances. If you want to live your life in constant paranoia, afraid of everything that might happen to you, be my guest, but I have no intention of living that way. That isn't living. It's simply existing, and it is pathetic. Electronic devices are everywhere, and they are all vulnerable to hacking regardless of what OS they run, so build yourself a bunker and cut yourself off from the outside world. Sounds like fun, huh...

Considering that there are several hundred millions computers out there running Windows, I'll take my chances. If you want to live your life in constant paranoia, afraid of everything that might happen to you, be my guest, but I have no intention of living that way. That isn't living. It's simply existing, and it is pathetic. Electronic devices are everywhere, and they are all vulnerable to hacking regardless of what OS they run, so build yourself a bunker and cut yourself off from the outside world. Sounds like fun, huh...

Windows backdoors do not require "hacking"
They allow instant access

I am not living in a bunker and am not cut off from the outside World, but I am aware of the limitations of each and every version of Windows since XP

That is why I can securely and safely run Windows XP online in a full admin account without a single Microsoft security update and you cannot

I do so without any malware problems "AS I STUDY MALWARE"

I am not afraid to run XP online and I am not paranoid by understanding the limitations imposed on us with each version of Windows

I can native boot to XP / 7 / 8.1 / 10 or Windows 11 all on the same computer safely and without compromise by understanding the individual limitations of each and the types of threats each version imposes on us all

You however cannot, as your posts make that quite clear

You know what they say about assumptions... I've been working with computers since the 1970s (a Burroughs mainframe with IBM punch cards!) and owned a successful computer business for a decade. I can do pretty anything with a computer that I want, including all the things you mention. I just don't see the need to.

You know what they say about assumptions... I've been working with computers since the 1970s (a Burroughs mainframe with IBM punch cards!) and owned a successful computer business for a decade. I can do pretty anything with a computer that I want, including all the things you mention. I just don't see the need to.

Well there's your problem right there
YOU don't see the need!

Fortunately, others do!

I know hundreds of users and tell you beyond a doubt that the vast majority don't give a crap. You are in a very paranoid, very small, fringe minority.

There is no paranoia in pointing out these facts, and although I was once in a small fringe minority, that is no longer true in 2022

Do you have any facts to share or are we done here?

I think the most interesting question is that do these businesses really care about the war or are they controlled on the government level? Do they think that customers in the west will start to boycott them if they don't hit Russia somehow? I just don't think being annoying this way is going to help or change anything. Russia might be the biggest bullying country in the world (and as of now even violent), but is acting in the same manner productive? I think at least "virtue signaling" is a thing that exists just to boost someone's spirit without any real life benefit to anyone else. People should try to be more real and perhaps just accept things sometimes, or if they really cannot stand the war, then directly help Ukraina.

I think the most interesting question is that do these businesses really care about the war or are they controlled on the government level? Do they think that customers in the west will start to boycott them if they don't hit Russia somehow? I just don't think being annoying this way is going to help or change anything. Russia might be the biggest bullying country in the world (and as of now even violent), but is acting in the same manner productive? I think at least "virtue signaling" is a thing that exists just to boost someone's spirit without any real life benefit to anyone else. People should try to be more real and perhaps just accept things sometimes, or if they really cannot stand the war, then directly help Ukraina.
Stay on topic!

The article is about blocking the download of Windows 10 and 11

Let's get some real evidence of who it was that banned the downloads before we go offtopic

Why would Microsoft not allow Russians to download a Spyware Platform that could be used against the Russians?

I mean, we know why Russia would ban the downloads, but why would Microsoft?

You are right in the very narrow sense that it is less Microsoft itself that wants any particular user's data, but the government agency(s) that Microsoft is taking orders from.

As to the data not being of real value, while there's certainly many who would say the government wastes money all the time, there's probably a reason the NSA is spending billions to illegally steal, store, collate, and analyze the data, which ultimately can consist of any data on your PC and any network resource it has authorizations for, every person you've ever communicated with online, what you've said to them, what they've said to you, what you've looked at, how you spend your time, etc.

Even if you value all that data at zero, other more sensible citizens can and should be worried about the consequences for them, which for some might mean being falsely targeted for all sorts of sanctions they'll never know about (I.e., federal jobs or contracts they will never get) because they once misdialed a number that happened to be two connections away from an actual terrorist; and could easily end with democracy overthrown by the NSA able to blackmail any elected official, any judge, any corporate CEO, any member of the press, or anyone anywhere with something to hide, which is most people of significance. This was no idle threat in the far less technologically advanced Hoover days, and what the NSA has now is far more powerful.

If you think all this goes no farther than targeted ads, please read carefully for yourself the Snowden leaks which details multiple illegal bulk collection programs that Microsoft willingly participated in. That was now many years ago. What do you think their capabilities are like now? And no, other than never connecting your device to the internet (which MS will no longer allow for activations), you do not have an option to block this.

Back