Ryzen 5 1600X vs. 1600: Which should you buy?

Interesting article. Glad to see sensible prices from AMD this time round, how much did AMD want for their 9590!

So you would recommend the 1600x over the 7600k if someone was planning on buying a SFF gaming machine and pairing it with a graphics card like a 1080 and a high refresh rate monitor?

No 6800K? No sexy, steamy 6 core 12 thread VS 6 core 12 thread action?
Will someone please shut me up about that Skylake chip or just give me one please.

Was this article really needed? I think basic intelligence can answer this question easily and the answer is R5 1600 with OC to 4 Ghz.

I wonder if you could get 3.8Ghz on that stock cooler? :)

Those overclocks were with the stock cooler, so the answer is yes ;)

Interesting article. Glad to see sensible prices from AMD this time round, how much did AMD want for their 9590!

So you would recommend the 1600x over the 7600k if someone was planning on buying a SFF gaming machine and pairing it with a graphics card like a 1080 and a high refresh rate monitor?

I'd get the R5 1600 over the 7600K.

I wonder if you could get 3.8Ghz on that stock cooler? :)

Those overclocks were with the stock cooler, so the answer is yes ;)

I'd get the R5 1600 over the 7600K.

What? You got 4.05Ghz on the stock cooler on that Motherboard?! :)

I've read stories about AMD motherboard issues. Would you recommend waiting on new revisions for most of these motherboards before anyone thinks about taking a leap with Ryzen?
the motherboards have been getting constant BIOS updates since the launch. in a month or two most big bugs should be ironed out and RAM compatibility improved too. there is no need to wait as the boards work ok now.

My i5-2500k @ 4ghz is still handling everything I toss at it (Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Dues Ex Mankind). I don't see a need to upgrade this year and maybe not even next year. I have nothing against AMD as my previous PC's were mostly built with AMD CPUs.

My i5-2500k @ 4ghz is still handling everything I toss at it (Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Dues Ex Mankind). I don't see a need to upgrade this year and maybe not even next year. I have nothing against AMD as my previous PC's were mostly built with AMD CPUs.

I've got Core i5 2500K clocked at 4700Mhz on Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 paired with 12GB 1333Mhz @ 1600Mhz of Ram and GTX480, now my dilemma is sell that and get Ryzen Rig or just get new graphics card? :p

I'm going to refresh my HTPC that has an i3-4xxxT with a Ryzen 5 1600. Since there is very little room in the ITX case, 1600 is just fine for this built. Not sure if the 1600X is worth that extra $$ for the little OC headroom for this built.

I've got Core i5 2500K clocked at 4700Mhz on Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 paired with 12GB 1333Mhz @ 1600Mhz of Ram and GTX480, now my dilemma is sell that and get Ryzen Rig or just get new graphics card? :p
if you got the money go for a new rig if you dont get a new graphics card either way that gtx480 needs to go , btw how the temps on that nuclear reactor ?

It's single threaded cpu benchmarks are lacking. I would to see benched on more games.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
those numbers are weird. it puts the higher clocked 1600x under the 1600 by almost 100 points. the single threaded results should be fine and only when compared to the heavily OC K CPUs from intel that it loses by a noticeable margin in certain games - even then it's just ~10% on average (like the i5 7600k at over 4.6GHz)

another example of weird results: Intel Core i7-4770T @ 2.50GHz is above the Intel Core i7-6800K @ 3.40GHz
you should not trust that website.

if you got the money go for a new rig if you dont get a new graphics card either way that gtx480 needs to go , btw how the temps on that nuclear reactor ?

Money is not a problem just me getting old is ( really think I should get a car ) :p and this card hits 100C even with 120mm fan on the side and new thermal paste applied on it, I'm really surprised it lasted all those years :p

I can't believe you used a nvidia card, the AMD chips would have performed much better if they were paired with an AMD GPU.

(Very large dose of sarcasm comes with this post referring to a previous article) ;)

Money is not a problem just me getting old is ( really think I should get a car ) :p and this card hits 100C even with 120mm fan on the side and new thermal paste applied on it, I'm really surprised it lasted all those years :p

Getting old or getting wise? As for your card I'm not surprised as gpu chips are designed to withstand such heat. It's only recently through marketing hype that people think any temp that isn't 10 degrees above idle must be bad. I had an old 8800gt that always hit the 90's during gaming and never once had an issue with it.

Can't speak for the other poster but I only upgrade to improve my PC when it doesn't deliver the performance I want. I won't upgrade just to improve test results.

Back