S3's DeltaChrome Faster than R9700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The Inquirer is reporting that S3's own senior manager has hinted that their recently announced DeltaChrome graphics processor "could put his firm in the hall of fame", as they expect its performance to be on par or above that of the Radeon 9700 Pro but in the $100 price range... now, that's a bold statement considering retail cards are expected in this second quarter:

Even more impressive is the pricing. S3 thinks these cards, which it is positioning as a high end mainstream system, at slightly less than $100.

S3 believes that the Columbia "will perform in the 20K+ range for 3DMark2001SE" and outscore even the Radeon 9700 Pro from ATI, and close to the NV30 from Nvidia.

I'm unregistered just to annoy you Phantasm66 ;)

Too bad we won't get to see anything of it to Q2...

By the time it's out, the Geforce FX will (most likely) have hit the shelves, and probably the R350... So I doubt it'll be a really big hit, but I hope it will...
One more IHV out there competing with the big boys will only be good for consumers...

Too bad they couldn't have it ready to ship now... That'd put Nvidia in an even tighter position that it is right now...

Also, I read that it won't be ready until late Q2 (I think it was over @ Beyond3d, I'll check it out, and post back...), which would make it's appearance most likely overshadowed by the "imminent" arrival of the R400 (and the NV35)...

Well, I found one reference here, but I'll dig around some more to see if I can find anything more substantial...

I posted as unregistered since I didn't want to log in with the browser I was using when I read the news...

Bah... I'm reading way to many sites to remember what was said where...

Anyways, I found it here...
Originally posted on FiringSquad:
By now you’re probably wondering how much DeltaChrome will cost and when it will be available. To answer the latter question, S3 stated that they’re shooting for retail availability at the end of Q2. That’s right, the end of Q2. That means you may not see DeltaChrome on store shelves for as long as five months from now.

Read the rest of the specs/speculations here...

Even then, if they meet the projection of selling boards at $100, they will be breaking market prices, considering GeForceFX's will be selling for $350 and Radeons for $250 in 5-6 months.

Then again, claims are just claims, and we all know Bitboys are coming this December with a new product that will be 10 times faster than the GeForceFX ! :p

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Bah... I'm reading way to many sites to remember what was said where...

Anyways, I found it here...

Read the rest of the specs/speculations here...
I agree with Julio, untill we see some official benchmarks results in the games or programs we use today I'm probably going to assume, like Julio, that this is all claims, or maybe a publicity stunt, who knows. Like a lot of people here, I have to see it to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back