Safes Ruining Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a quick question.

I'm a tech at a computer shop and a customer brought in two laptops for a data transfer. He has an XPS and said he puts his computer in a safe at night and one morning after taking it out that it would not turn on (only a single LED light signaling power on). Microsoft concluded bad mobo.

During the data transfer I removed all the components including the internal video card. Attempted booting up the computer the single LED came on again along with the front panel LEDs.. after about 30 seconds it shut off like it had been.

I completely reassembled and turned on to double check, and it booted up successfully.

The customer said he heard a rumor that safes might damage a computer. I doubt the rumor and think that the components might have just gotten lose.

Your thoughts?
An advanced thank you.

Many safe units do have special electronics that upgrade the security... so as to report to burgular alarm businesses and sheriff's department. Their radiation techniques of detection are definitely enough to diddle with laptop systems... But you can buy a protective "envelope" which has metalic particles that will prevent the damage.
They are available through the better security outfits.
We work with a number of small corporations with outlying service buildings in nearby towns which have these devices...
There are no problems in our units when placed in the protective envelope...

But it is smarter to remove the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back