Sales of the Nokia Lumia surpass the entire Blackberry fleet

David Tom

sales nokia lumia blackberry nokia lumia z10 a10 ios android app

Canadian handset manufacturer BlackBerry has been struggling to survive for over a year, and has somehow managed to crank out new designs. Long ago surpassed by the likes of Apple and Android, the company found some solace in the third-place position. Unfortunately for BlackBerry, the Windows Phone platform has continued to steal away market share, and new reports suggest that Nokia now sells more Lumias than BlackBerry sells phones. From the beginning of April to the end of June, Nokia shipped out 7.4 million Lumias, whereas BlackBerry only sold 6.8 million devices.

What’s even more concerning for BlackBerry is that their most recent models failed to garner most of the attention. Of the 6.8 million devices sold, only 2.7 million of them were Z10’s, arguably the company’s most anticipated and well-rounded handset. To make matters worse, leaked photos of the upcoming BlackBerry A10 and BlackBerry 9720 hardly conjure up any excitement.

The company has clearly upgraded their phone line and have made vast improvements to the outdated OS, but their reputation as an industry leader is all but gone. They are currently surviving on their familiarity with the corporate community, but with the bring-your-own-device trend (BYOD) picking up steam, their days could be numbered. It’s time for them to make a radical move, and it must be sooner, rather than later.

In a similar position to BlackBerry is Nokia. The Finnish firm lost $55 million during the most recent financial period, and second-quarter smartphone sales are down 27% from the same period last year. 

Luckily, Nokia can cling to the Lumia for life. The sleek phone line has continued to gain momentum, up 32% from the previous quarter. Seeing as the handsets have received favorable reviews based on the hardware alone, if Windows Phone 8 can find a way to diversify its app ecosystem, then success could be just around the corner.

Permalink to story.

"The company has clearly upgraded their phone line and have made vast improvements to the outdated OS"
Not outdated, new (QNX). Get your facts straight.

"The company has clearly upgraded their phone line and have made vast improvements to the outdated OS"

This is a pathetic excuse hit piece. First off, the headline is says "Lumia" as if there's only ONE model. Second: "From the beginning of April to the end of June, Nokia shipped out 7.4 million Lumias, whereas BlackBerry only sold 6.8 million devices." Gee, apples to oranges, anyone? And then there's the utter FUD of corporate sales still being Blackberry's main strength. That era is over - the majority of BB users are in the developing world where nearly everyone is a street corner hustler - there's no clear dividing line between the individual and business. Rubbish article and beneath the standards of Techspot.

This is a pathetic excuse hit piece. First off, the headline is says "Lumia" as if there's only ONE model. Second: "From the beginning of April to the end of June, Nokia shipped out 7.4 million Lumias, whereas BlackBerry only sold 6.8 million devices." Gee, apples to oranges, anyone? And then there's the utter FUD of corporate sales still being Blackberry's main strength. That era is over - the majority of BB users are in the developing world where nearly everyone is a street corner hustler - there's no clear dividing line between the individual and business. Rubbish article and beneath the standards of Techspot.

I do apologize if any of my statements came off as misleading, especially the fact that the Lumia is an entire series rather than a single phone.I now see how a reader could be easily confused. I am actually a BlackBerry owner myself and really do enjoy their products, That being said, I am realistic and understand that BlackBerry has quickly fallen into obscurity due to their inability to provide more than the bigger players; and that's on both a hardware and software level.

I do agree that OS 10 (based on QNX) is a vast improvement over OS 7, but simply put, it doesn't have a big enough app ecosystem to support it. The bread and butter of BlackBerry was its ties to the business world. It was the best when it came to voice quality and network security. Unfortunately for BlackBerry, at no fault of their own, consumers now look towards smartphones as an all-inclusive entertainment package. In essence, BlackBerry's strengths are no longer as alluring to the everyday shopper.

I really do hope that they can turn their fortunes around, but they need to make a move soon.

- the majority of BB users are in the developing world -
I remember when BB was the ONLY allowed phone for commercial companies. Reason? It provides secured (encrypted) audio. Can anyone find that offered by the current flock of cell phones?

"..Nokia shipped out 7.4 million Lumias, whereas BlackBerry only sold 6.8 million devices.

Back