Samsung announces the world's largest-capacity SSD, which comes with 30.72TB of storage

By midian182 · 19 replies
Feb 20, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. It seems as if tech companies are constantly trying to outdo each other as they race to make storage drives with ever-increasing capacities. In the world of solid state drives, Samsung has just unveiled the world’s largest, boasting a massive 30.72 terabytes of space.

Samsung defines the PM1643 as “the industry’s largest capacity Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) solid state drive.” While it would be an ideal solution for your ever-growing steam library, the SSD is designed for use in next-generation enterprise systems.

The successor to last year’s 15.36TB enterprise PM1633a SSD, the PM1643 is comprised of 32 1TB NAND flash packages, each made up of 16 stacked layers of 512Gb vertical NAND chips. The company said there’s enough room on this device to store around 5700 full HD movies at 5GB each.

Compared the 2017 model, the performance of the new drive has also been improved. It has a 12GBps SAS interface and features random read and write speeds of up to 400,000 IOPS and 50,000 IOPS, along with sequential read and write speeds of up to 2,100MB/s and 1,700 MB/s, respectively. The figures are around four times the random read performance and three times the sequential read performance of a typical 2.5-inch SATA SSD.

The drive also comes with a new controller that integrates nine main and sub controllers used in previous SSDs. It features Through Silicon Via (TSV) technology to interconnect 8Gb DDR4 chips, creating 10 4GB TSV DRAM packages totaling 40GB of DRAM.

No word on price or availability, but expect it to be very, very expensive, seeing as the older PM1633a 15TB model is around $10,000. The company will be launching 16.36TB, 7.68TB, 3.84TB, 1.92TB, 960GB, and 800GB versions later this year; those smaller drives should be a lot more affordable, obviously.

Back in 2016, Seagate said it had built a 60TB SSD that would be released in 2017, but this “demonstration technology” still isn’t available to buy.

Permalink to story.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2018
  2. Squid Surprise

Squid Surprise TS Evangelist Posts: 1,833   +872

I await the day these become mainstream and I can have a couple in my PC....

ddferrari likes this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,882   +2,237

Ok, so I'll need two then...

Whole 60GB - wow! That's like a whole Blu-Ray disk! :)

Burty117 and Lounds like this.
  4. penn919

penn919 TS Addict Posts: 218   +84

Probably a Typo. He probably meant 60TB

5. dualkelly

dualkelly TS Enthusiast Posts: 35   +12

I have about 40tb of data spread across 12 hard drives. Would love to fill a couple of these up.

6. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,506   +400

I'll take 4 of them. I don't need 4, but I want 4. :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. senketsu

senketsu TS Guru Posts: 586   +360

SCSI tho...be awhile for consumer

8. ShagnWagn

ShagnWagn TS Addict Posts: 234   +136

I've always wondered why the heck they didn't continue with the standard 3.5" drives for SSD. When the first ones continued to only be 2.5", that is a big reason why they can't hold anywhere near what hard drives can. Even to this day. SMH

9. Prosercunus

Prosercunus TS Maniac Posts: 256   +105

By that point your media wil be of larger size and this won't be as impressive.

10. Squid Surprise

Squid Surprise TS Evangelist Posts: 1,833   +872

True.... but they'll still be useful...Right now I use 2 12TB HDDs, 2 8TB HDDs, a 6TB HDD, and the 2 1TB SSDs and a 400GB Intel SSD as a boot drive...

Would be much more convenient to replace everything with SSDs.... eventually maybe a couple of 500TB HDDs and a couple 30TB SSDs :)

11. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Addict Posts: 359   +20

I'll be happy enough when 1tb ssd's can be found anywhere for under $200.

Humza and p51d007 like this.
  12. TheBigT42

TheBigT42 TS Maniac Posts: 238   +131

By the time that happens windows will take up half of the drive.

13. TheBigT42

TheBigT42 TS Maniac Posts: 238   +131

You need a NAS with RAID

14. sac39507

sac39507 TS Addict Posts: 163   +51

They are chips inside so there really is no reason for any kid of "form factor" chassis. They should just put chips on a pc board...oh wait, they do and it's called a pci-e ssd card.

p51d007 likes this.
  15. ChrisH1

ChrisH1 TS Addict Posts: 101   +55

It was a typo. It says 60TB in the article, the typo's in the comment. Or at least, it does now.

16. Mike89

Mike89 TS Booster Posts: 46   +15

Yeah, well I'm still waiting for the day (that was promised way long time ago) of SSD's being in the same price range as their mechanical counter parts of equal size. That day still seems far away. Don't know why it's taking so long as an SSD has got to be cheaper to make than a mechanical hard drive.

p51d007 likes this.
  17. poohbear

poohbear TS Addict Posts: 193   +95

I remember my HDD was 40mb back in the early 90s. Now its 6TB. I imagine in 25 years 6TB will also be laughable!

18. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,647   +155

Let's see 10 years from now what storage for our transparent systems will be like? I am happy with what I use today. Until it goes Zonk I am not spending a lot into the new storage media. I use NAS and UAS for storage don't hardly use the HDD in any system just too hold OS. SDD to me don't last as long as HDD. Still just have to see..

19. pencea

pencea TS Addict Posts: 122   +75

I'll be happy the day when 4TB SSDs drops downt to mainstream HDDs prices.

20. penn919

penn919 TS Addict Posts: 218   +84

I can confirm that the article did contain the Typo. They corrected it. No big deal.