Samsung could reveal its AMD GPU for smartphones in June

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: The smartphone world has been waiting a long time for the fruits of Samsung's partnership with AMD. According to a renowned leaker, we'll finally see the RDNA mobile GPU this June.

It was back in 2019 when AMD and Samsung signed a deal that would bring the former's graphics tech to the latter's mobile devices. Later rumors claimed it was coming to Galaxy phones in 2021, and we've seen some promising benchmarks that show the GPU beating the Adreno 650 found in the Galaxy S20 series.

Now, Ice Universe, who's been behind countless Samsung leaks, has tweeted that the Samsung/AMD GPU will be revealed in June. They note that only the graphics processor is being unveiled; we'll have to wait a bit longer to see the full SoC it sits inside.

Samsung's own Exynos SoC has long faced criticism for its shortcomings when compared to the Snapdragon alternatives. There was even a petition demanding the company drop its in-house chip.

The recent Exynos 2100 is a lot closer to Qualcomm's new Snapdragon 888 in terms of its CPU performance—they share a similar design—but the Snapdragon's Adreno 660 outperforms the Mali-G78 MP14 in the Exynos by around 28 percent, though it runs hotter. An Exynos SoC with integrated RDNA tech could turn the Galaxy series into true graphics powerhouses. All Samsung needs to do is optimize the GPU.

More leaked benchmarks from last month showed that an engineering sample of the Samsung/AMD SoC almost doubled Apple's A14 Bionic's GPU performance. We'll have to wait and see whether the final product arrives in Galaxy phones this year or next.

Permalink to story.

One possible advantage of Samsung using their Exynos SOC's is that they could be able to offer even longer support to their devices, like apple.

Yes, I am aware they just announced support up to 4 years, but still, this should make it easier and perhaps better.

"AMD Radeon™ Everywhere"

.....except PCs. We really don't have any dedicated GPUs to sell to the public. Ever.

The funny thing is - with AMD purchase of IP ( can't remember name - something like ARM ) and Nvidia wanting to acquire ARM. A seriously good Nvidia/AMD collab. could blow Intel/Apple out of the water - and it can have various form factors 90% PC 10%ARM to 90% ARM 10% PC - plus access to the fastest an most scalable GPUs attached - add in some drop in slots for custom chips ( ie 6800 motorola etc ) = and they could run everything

WOW! What a game changer! LOL...the era of "cheap" smartphones is over.
All hail the $2,000.00 smartphone. Oh, you can bet the price will be higher, the
battery smaller, but that's what people seems to want, or they wouldn't be buying
these NARROW but TALL phones.

I don't need GPU performance in a smartphone, at least not yet. I need efficiency and better screen quality. 830Nits? Nope, try 1500 Nits and battery efficiency. For majority of tasks, my Smartphone is plenty fast enough. I don't game on a phone (cmon we have PCs/consoles for that) so GPU performance isn't important.

WOW! What a game changer! LOL...the era of "cheap" smartphones is over.
All hail the $2,000.00 smartphone. Oh, you can bet the price will be higher, the
battery smaller, but that's what people seems to want, or they wouldn't be buying
these NARROW but TALL phones.

I think in the future Smartphones will be like current desktops in terms of pricing but will also be your right arm (already are). Sort of waterproof up to 100s of meters, working in hostile environments, week long battery, something crazy like 5000-10,000 lumens, insane connectivity anywhere and of course, processing power.

They are only going to be getting more expensive. THAT SAID, right now? It's just moronic, they do not offer any of the above and still demand crazy prices.

(all that assuming we don't just have everything internally in our bodies).

I don't game on a phone (cmon we have PCs/consoles for that) so GPU performance isn't important.
Same as you, I dont game on my phones and a bit on my tablet, but the reality is, there are lots of people that do and mobile gaming is making a considerable amount of cash.

More info here:

Back