Samsung Exynos chips with RDNA 2 graphics are set for release later this year

jsilva

Forward-looking: AMD and Samsung announced a partnership to develop low power graphics technologies in 2019. Since then, no product has seen the light from this collaboration, but according to AMD's Lisa Su keynote during this year's Computex, that will change this year as Samsung plans to launch an Exynos chip powered by RDNA 2 graphics.

"The next place you'll find RDNA 2 will be the high-performance mobile phone market," said AMD's CEO Lisa Su during the company's keynote at Computex 2021. "AMD has partnered with industry leader Samsung for several years to accelerate graphics innovation in the mobile market, and we're happy to announce that we'll bring custom graphics IP to Samsung's next flagship mobile SoC with ray tracing and variable rate shading capabilities. We're really looking forward to Samsung providing more details later this year."

The upcoming Exynos chip with RDNA 2 graphics will most likely succeed the flagship Exynos 2100 SoC. If Samsung releases it later this year, we can expect to see the first devices using it in late 2021 or the first half of 2022.

Samsung and AMD haven't detailed the specifications and technologies built into the RDNA 2 GPU, but it's expected that the chip will support ray tracing and variable rate shading (VRS).

It's also unclear what devices will be powered by the new Exynos chip. Rumors claim that it may come in an Exynos-powered laptop featuring Radeon graphics as soon as this year.

Official performance figures have not been shared yet either, but a Twitter user already posted some benchmark results of the GPU component of the upcoming chip. When compared to the Adreno 650 found on the Snapdragon 865/865+/870 SoCs, the RDNA GPU offered more than twice the graphics performance.

Permalink to story.

fd7b83f187f13fa51bee477878af4bd407bde08e14ff639c12250a4d8482af79.gif

In typical Samsung fashion, they're really motivated to go take the fight to Apple and I bet that's why they now want an all day, fanless laptop that can deliver great performance.

Not sure how much App support these things could end up having but hey, if they deliver on performance and let people run Linux on it I'd be nice to have (Although in recent news, you can now run Linux Apps on Chrome OS as officially supported so that's still something I guess?)

I don't like how RDNA2 arrives the very last in x86 iGPUs/APUs with AMD Rembrandt. Now this mobile SoC will get it first !

In typical Samsung fashion, they're really motivated to go take the fight to Apple and I bet that's why they now want an all day, fanless laptop that can deliver great performance.

Not sure how much App support these things could end up having but hey, if they deliver on performance and let people run Linux on it I'd be nice to have (Although in recent news, you can now run Linux Apps on Chrome OS as officially supported so that's still something I guess?)
This have been in development for years. It was Microsoft who started the idea by releasing an ARM tablet a decade ago. They later teamed up with Qualcomm to make something a bit more optimized and AMD and Samsung, being as big as they both are, decided on combining forces to take ARM on mobile and portables a few steps further forward.
I doubt that the Windows devices will be much of a hit. The selective marketing synthetic numbers Apple use to sell things doesn't work on Windows.

I'll bet the next Exynos will be in larger device first, maybe Galaxy Tab S8 or ultrathin laptop, and S22 will get the new AMD GPU's next year.

Back