Samsung Gear VR headset can now be yours for $199.99

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung headset sale att virtual reality vr headset oculus rift galaxy note 4

Samsung’s virtual reality headset is now available for purchase through Samsung’s and AT&T’s websites. The Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition will set you back $199.99 but you’ll also need the company’s Galaxy Note 4 as that is the one and only smartphone it is compatible with.

The Samsung Gear VR was first announced in September. The fruits of a partnership with Oculus VR, the wearable isn’t quite as versatile as the Oculus Rift in terms of functionality although it is a bit more portable and has spawned a number of me-too devices over the past few months from companies like Archos and Carl Zeiss.

The $199.99 bundle includes the headset itself, a carrying case, a replacement face cushion, a lens cloth, a 16GB microSD card loaded with starter content, an SD card adapter, user manual and a warranty statement.

Samsung is also offering a couple of discounts on accessories including $20 off the GearTM Circle earphones and $30 off the Samsung Gamepad. Both discounts are only eligible with the purchase of a Gear VR headset.

The Gear VR instruction manual includes some interesting bits of advice. For example, wearers are encouraged to take at least a 10 to 15 minute break for every 30 minutes of use even if you don’t think you need it. What’s more, the manual cautions against using the headset if it seems to get hot as prolonged contact could cause burns – ouch. 

Permalink to story.

"Samsung Gear VR headset [strap ONLY] can now be yours for $199.99"

There...corrected that for you; seeing how this is nothing more than a smartphone-holder-uper?
You could probably save $199.99 and use your hands to hold the phone to your eyes?? Just a suggestion - I know some may find that to be a tedious chore and would probably opt for this holder-uper.

"Samsung Gear VR headset [strap ONLY] can now be yours for $199.99"

There...corrected that for you; seeing how this is nothing more than a smartphone-holder-uper?
You could probably save $199.99 and use your hands to hold the phone to your eyes?? Just a suggestion - I know some may find that to be a tedious chore and would probably opt for this holder-uper.

If what you say is true, then we'd be better off with the Google Cardboard

Well, you're sort of right as to the "smartphone holder-upper" comment, and yes, Cardboard does the same thing. That being said, I have a b1tch of a time with my cardboard not fitting my phone correctly, my Note II slides all over inside the flap because after all, it's just cardboard. Also, the lenses are a tad small, to the point where I can't see the entire screen without scrolling around. This may be due to the 5.5 inch screen.

This device looks very solidly built, and the lenses look absolutely gorgeous. I'm looking forward to my upgrade date in March, so I can get a Note 4 and these goggles.

Very clever of Samsung, they let you pay them to be their beta tester. In fact that's all early adopters essentially are, beta testers, but we need them so we can hold onto our money then swoop in, pick up a new and improved product when most of the bugs are exterminated at a massive discount. Pretty clever eh?

So, this is basically a $200 face adapter for the Galaxy Note 4? It's something that I'm willing to play with, but not necessarily willing to pay for. I'd have to hear how others react to the usefulness of this device.

Back