Samsung Portable SSD T5 overheating, smells like burning, need to retrieve data

Hi all. I have an external Samsung Portable SSD T5 with 1TB space on it. Bought the drive in Feb. Was working great until today when my imac delivered a message saying to remove the external hard drive that was using too much power. I immediately removed the drive from my computer, and noticed a smell (a burning smell). I know, not good. Anyway, I need to know if there's a way to recover the data that's on the drive. I'm afraid to plug it in because I don't want to take the risk of it overheating again and causing irreparable damage. I reached out to Amazon since I purchased the item through them. The assistant told me to: "Download & Install Disk Drill on your computer. Select your hard drive & click the 'Recover' button. Preview files. Select & save your files." I don't understand how this is going to help me when I can't connect the drive to my computer. Am I missing something here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Lots of work files on the drive that I really need to get back.

Back