Samsung reveals new 512GB toggle-mode NAND SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Samsung is preparing to unleash its first solid-state drive that makes use of its toggle-mode DDR NAND flash memory. Aimed at the premium notebook segment, the new entrant parades both high speed and capacity. The 512GB drive is rated for a maximum read speed of 250MB/s, while sequential writes max out at 220MB/s – quick enough to store two DVDs in just a minute.

Internally, the drive is comprised of 30nm 32Gb chips that can run at 3.3V or 1.8V, and it features a new low-power controller designed specifically for toggle-mode NAND. Samsung says the controller analyzes frequency of use along with user preferences to activate a low-power mode, which could give notebooks an extra hour of battery life or more.

Additionally, the drive makes use of 256-bit AES encryption so you can lockdown your data with peace of mind. Volume production is planned to kick off next month, but there's no information regarding a retail launch date or price – presumably because the drive will mostly ship to system builders.

Permalink to story.

Internally, the drive is comprised of 30nm 32Gb chips that can run at 3.3V or 1.8V

Veeeerry cool! This should help with power savings even more. If I'm correct, some popular SSD's nowadays show up to 5.5V. PLUS 256-Bit AES encryption? I like the direction its going in.

"We are finally getting there..." Agreed volume wise.

But I'm pretty sure this little toy will run ya minimum $1,500 when it's released for public consumption. :(

The price drops of the older solid state drives are dropping at an astonishing rate.
I saw and article in the Wall Street Journal predicting the prices force the EIDE and SATA drives right off the market and out of existence by December 2012... Others say it will take until 2020... but they are anticipating that the manufacturers of Solid State Drives will control price, size, and releases until they have earned by their investment in the assembly lines of SATA drive makers...
Once these drives get rolling, I doubt they can control anything...
Look at how much 250 GB laptop drives dropped in one year, and now the same is happening with 500 GB drives.
The market will decide, and the solid state drives will be too easy to make, and in too great the demand.

Now this is what I'm talking about. I really never felt safe with regular disk HDDs, due the crashes. Although these could get fry I suppose.

512GBs feels good. I'm wondering how much it wil cost...

It's probably just me, but I'd love to see a dual drive SSD for notebooks... Like 2 distinct 256 Gb drives that fit into a 2.5" drive profile. Then you could run them in RAID if you chose, or keep them distinct as separate drives (instead of requiring partitioning).

Maybe that's just my craptacular partitioned drive performance experience on my laptop that is talking there... heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back