Samsung smart TVs will play Playstation games starting next year

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Samsung has joined forces with Sony to bring the Playstation Now service to a select range of its smart TVs in the first half of the next year, allowing you to enjoy PlayStation games without the need of an actual PlayStation gaming console, although you’ll need to purchase a Sony Dualshock controller.

PlayStation Now on Samsung TVs will be available as an app that can be accessed through the company’s Smart Hub, and will support all functionality, including the ability to earn in-game trophies, play games online with friends, and save your game progress in the cloud.

"We are excited to collaborate with PlayStation to deliver even more entertainment value to our Smart TV platform," said Youngchan Kim, Vice President at Samsung Electronics.

For the uninitiated, Playstation Now is a gaming streaming service of PlayStation 3 titles to devices such as PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, and Bravia TVs. At present, the service is in beta, and offers about 200 PS3 titles, although Sony plans to offer PS2 and PS4 games soon. It requires a minimum 5mbps Internet connection in order to provide a good gaming experience.

samsung tvs playstation sony ces gaming tv smart tv playstation now ces 2015

PS Now on Samsung smart TVs will only be available to consumers in the United States and Canada at launch, and will be showcased at the 2015 Consumer Electronics Show, which is scheduled to take place in Las Vegas from January 6-9.

Permalink to story.

So instead of spending $400 dollars on a console the cost of the TV will be $400 higher in price. And God forbid one of the two to go out. Then you would be facing a total replacement, not just one or the other. No thanks!

Nope. It's not a TV with a built-in PS4, it's a TV that's capable of consuming a game streaming service.

So instead of spending $400 dollars on a console the cost of the TV will be $400 higher in price. And God forbid one of the two to go out. Then you would be facing a total replacement, not just one or the other. No thanks!
it sounds like its being built into standard samsung smart TVs...its streaming, not something new actually built into the tv

I think you may have it a bit mixed up here Cliff, the way I understand things is that these TV's connect to Sony's gaming network just like our computing devices connect to the internet and from the menu you choose the game you want to play and off you go (for a fee of course). It seems like the days of buying either physical copies or downloading complete games are coming to an end, if this is the case, what's the use of investing in a console in the future then?
Anyway that's just my take, I could be completely wrong.

Seasons greetings and best wishes to you and your loved ones.

5mbps? That's going to be a pretty awful experience even if your ping is 1ms. Steam in home streaming lags over wifi on my setup so I doubt any reasonable Internet connection will make this comprable to owning the console.

That's pretty amazing, but if you don't have internet your out of luck. Also 0 ping on single player wont exist.

If you are in fact streaming which would completely change everything, they could build some truly epic systems. 4k tvs with insane remote system. Anything but remote gaming would die.

You do not use your console 24 hours a day. So each console could be used by multiple customers. You would likely connect to a different console each time you played a game. That would make consoles way cheaper or bring up the console specs through the roof for the same price.

Last edited:
I really do doubt that this service will ever see a console.
It is most likely just a server farm doing all the processing and sending it out.

Back