Samsung sp2504c SATA HD Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelpinnz

I'm trying to install this samsung sp2504c as a slave onto another drive that isn't SATA. The drive didn't come with any installation manual, but I've got the cords hooked up right and checked Samsung's page on the drive. The drive shows up during boot under the SATA drives but then when I get to XP it's like it isn't even plugged in.

Also, when I tried to install the jumper to my Master HD to set it as Master, the computer would hang during bootup when it was checking for IDE drives. So as of now there is no jumper, the Master wont accept the jumper to be designated as master, and the SATA doesn't show up anyplace other than during the boot. Help?

Like I said when I go to My Computer, there is no icon for the drive, it's like it doesn't exist. But under Device Manager under Disk Drives, there is my WD listed but then another just listed as Disk Drive. I'm guessing that's the SATA. Since the cables are connected correctly since the computer sees it during the boot, does that mean that it's an issue with a driver?

I don't think you can connect a SATA drive as master or slave to an IDE drive. Master/slave configurations are generally for 2 drives sharing one IDE cable. I must ask, why do you want to have it as a slave drive? It's better to have drives independent, i.e. on different cables, so that they don't have to share the bandwidth of one cable. What purpose would it serve having them configured as master and slave?

Just set the jumper on the IDE drive to Cable Select and plug in the SATA drive. You might need to enable the SATA drive in your BIOS settings.

What is the purpose of having the jumper set to Cable Select? What does that even mean?

And I found a way to enable, partition, and format the drive under the Disk Management option under Computer Management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back