Samsung updates its J-series family of budget smartphones

Jos

Staff

With the release of the Galaxy S8 now in the rear mirror, Samsung is switching focus to its more affordable J series. The company had already released the Galaxy J3 last month in the US, and now it has officially unveiled the new Galaxy J5 and Galaxy J7. The phones sport a metal design, fingerprint sensor, VoLTE support and will ship with Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box.

The J5 and J7 both come with HD super AMOLED displays (5.2-inch and 5.5-inch, respectively), 16GB of internal storage which can be further expanded up to an extra 256GB via a microSD card slot, Exynos 7870 based eight-core A53 1.6GHz processor with Mali T830 GPU. The 5.2-inch Galaxy J5 comes with 2GB RAM and a 3,000mAh battery, while the 5.5-inch J7 has 3GB RAM and a 3,600mAh battery.

All models are available in dual- or single-SIM options, have an FM radio receiver and feature 13-megapixel cameras on the front and back with f/1.7 and f/1.9 apertures, respectively. Other features include Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1, Micro USB port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The Galaxy J5 will be available in Europe this month for around €279 ($314, £243) followed by a July launch for the Galaxy J7 at €339 ($381, £295). The Galaxy J3 will be available in August for €219 ($246, £191) — Samsung launched the entry-level J3 with AT&T last month in the US for $179.

All three models in the J-series will be available in black or gold.

Samsung’s affordable J-series may not have the same high-end features as the premium Galaxy S8 or Note series, but they do well in emerging markets and is key to its market share leadership.

Permalink to story.

Not sure why one wouldnt get the 2017 A series instead, very similar pricing and look to me to be slightly more premium.

Not sure why one wouldnt get the 2017 A series instead, very similar pricing and look to me to be slightly more premium.
The A series is quite a bit more pricier and the J series and lacks a lot of the fundamental sensors found the competitors competing models. That said, the J series is pretty popular here and if it's a reputable, basic smartphone you're after, the J series fits the bill quite nicely.

The A series is quite a bit more pricier.

At the moment you can find an A5 (2017) for €318 on amazon.de, €39 more than the J5 price stated in the article. I mean each to their own but I would pay the premium for better front and rear cameras, 1080p as opposed to 720p, USB-C, more internal storage, more ram, water resitance...

At the moment you can find an A5 (2017) for €318 on amazon.de, €39 more than the J5 price stated in the article. I mean each to their own but I would pay the premium for better front and rear cameras, 1080p as opposed to 720p, USB-C, more internal storage, more ram, water resitance...
I can only speak for South African prices. Over here the difference in price between the A5 & the J5 is quite significant, far more than 39 Euros but yeah, the A series is very nice, I use the 2017 A3 as my secondary device. In fact I prefer it to my HTC 10 in many ways. As you say, each to their own.

Back