Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold 2 durability testing: an improved hinge, but the screen is still...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Samsung’s latest foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Z Fold 2, has found its way to Zack’s test bench for a healthy dose of durability testing. Is it any more robust than earlier Samsung foldables? Sort of...

The Galaxy Z Fold 2 features a larger front display and an improved hinge mechanism compared to Samsung’s earlier effort. In testing the outer display against scratches, JerryRigEverything found that Corning’s Gorilla Glass Victus holds up against scratching on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness to a level six with deeper grooves at level seven.

Of course, this was after Zack removed the pre-installed screen protector, which Samsung warns against doing. With the protector in place, scratches were visible at level three.

Moving to the interior folding screen, Zack notes a semi-temporary rubber screen protector on top of a more permanent plastic layer. Even after removing the outer layer, which again, you shouldn’t do, the screen scratches at a level two.

“The hardness of the folding display has not changed,” Zack notes. “The Galaxy Fold 2 can still be damaged by a fingernail.”

An area where Samsung has seemingly made an improvement, however, is with the hinge. When sprinkling dirt and small pebbles on the device, none appeared to get into the inner gears. That wasn’t the case with the first-gen Fold as dirt and debris quickly found their way inside.

Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold 2 starts at $1,999.99 and is available as of writing from most major carriers and directly from Samsung.

Permalink to story.

I tried out one of these in Best Buy.

I really didn't like it. My main issue was that the display didn't look goo d to my eyes, very reflective at angles - a whole lotta glare...and I didn't like holding it.

>> " Corning’s Gorilla Glass Victus holds up against scratching on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness to a level six..."

I'm still waiting for the synthetic sapphire screens to replace glass ... in cell phones that cost less than several grand, that is.

Just my two cents: they should have buried this design long ago. A bulky phone that unfolds into a very small tablet. I guess they still need 2-3 generations of flops and millions dollars spent until they see it`s just a bad idea.

Just my two cents: they should have buried this design long ago. A bulky phone that unfolds into a very small tablet. I guess they still need 2-3 generations of flops and millions dollars spent until they see it`s just a bad idea.

Right?! This has all the signs of a dumb MBA trying to market a dumb design written all over it.

Right?! This has all the signs of a dumb MBA trying to market a dumb design written all over it.
Well, they reputedly sold half a million of the original Z Fold, and they're projecting to sell several times that of this model. Even if sales don't exceed the original, that's still a fairly successful product.

I've been using the first one for almost a year now and enjoy it. Is it revolutionary? No. Was it worth the stupidly high price? No. But I find it useful and could afford it. It could do with a Wacom AD (S-pen), but other than that I've had no problems. My display is not scratched and I hardly baby the thing.

I think a lot of those so vocally against it like yourself have either never used one or only briefly used one.

Well, they reputedly sold half a million of the original Z Fold, and they're projecting to sell several times that of this model. Even if sales don't exceed the original, that's still a fairly successful product.
Well, I am amazed. I just don`t see it as a trend, like in 5 years we will all carry that bulky fragile contraption in our pocket, unless, maybe, I dunno, it turns out to be the newest iphone? Lol

Well, I am amazed. I just don`t see it as a trend, like in 5 years we will all carry that bulky fragile contraption in our pocket, unless, maybe, I dunno, it turns out to be the newest iphone? Lol

It's not that bulky, especially compared to the monstrosities people are squeezing into their pockets these days (it's narrower for a start).

And it really isn't that fragile. Not that the inside display is what you should worry about; more the glass back which is hardly unique to the Fold.

I've been using the first one for almost a year now and enjoy it. Is it revolutionary? No. Was it worth the stupidly high price? No. But I find it useful and could afford it. It could do with a Wacom AD (S-pen), but other than that I've had no problems. My display is not scratched and I hardly baby the thing.

I think a lot of those so vocally against it like yourself have either never used one or only briefly used one.
I`m not vocal about it, it was just my opinion and you`re right, I have only briefly played with one in a showroom, but I don`t like it at all and it felt bulky to me. To each his own I guess.

Good to see most of the opinions here are rationale.

This is a flawed venture to begin with.

Initiated by those trying to stand out in the over-saturated mobile market in the name of so-called innovation and create a new selling point to push ahead with more sales and profit against the competition.

The ugly notch and the pinholes and keyholes are the results of such mis-venture to get rid of the bezel and make the front face, full screen. This in turn also made it more susceptible to screen breakage. Cases can only cover so-much, and is even worse in "curved" screens.

As everyone mentioned, wonder how much of money will be wasted before they realize "foldable" screens just can't cut it.

In their search for foldable phones, they are going back against what they started to change - make phones as "thin" as possible.

Initiated by those trying to stand out in the over-saturated mobile market in the name of so-called innovation and create a new selling point to push ahead with more sales and profit against the competition.

The ugly notch and the pinholes and keyholes are the results of such mis-venture to get rid of the bezel and make the front face, full screen. This in turn also made it more susceptible to screen breakage. Cases can only cover so-much, and is even worse in "curved" screens.

As everyone mentioned, wonder how much of money will be wasted before they realize "foldable" screens just can't cut it.

In their search for foldable phones, they are going back against what they started to change - make phones as "thin" as possible.

Only the Folds are perfectly useable.

There's only really the price of them that's an issue, and that's almost certainly going to come down. Meanwhile, if you have the money to spend on them, they are great to use.

But you're too busy patting yourself on your back over how "rationale" you are.

Only the Folds are perfectly useable.

There's only really the price of them that's an issue, and that's almost certainly going to come down. Meanwhile, if you have the money to spend on them, they are great to use.

But you're too busy patting yourself on your back over how "rationale" you are.
Don't know what the heck of a fold you're enjoying about, but hey, it's your money...so, enjoy!

Personally I'd love a foldable phone that becomes a tablet device I just can't justify the cost. So hopefully in 5 years time this tech is affordable to the masses.

Back