Samsung's Smart Evolution HDTV upgrade kit coming in May for $299

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Today Samsung is making good on a promise from earlier this year at CES with regards to the planned Smart Evolution Kit. The kit, which includes a Samsung Smart Remote, will contain a faster quad-core processor, a new GPU and additional memory that equipped televisions can utilize for faster multitasking and overall general performance when using Smart TV apps.

The upgrade kit can be installed via a proprietary slot on 7500 and 8000 series LED televisions as well as 7000 and 8000 series plasma sets built in 2012. The kit will retail for $299 this May which could be a tough sell for someone that just purchased a brand new high-end television less than a year ago.

samsung smart evolution kit hdtv hdtv kit evolution kit

The included Smart Remote allows users to interact with their Smart TV using voice and gesture control. A quick check on Google surprisingly showed no shopping results but if I had to guess, the remote would probably sell for $100 or so on it’s own.

It’s cheaper than buying a brand new television, yes, but one has to wonder just how often the average consumer replaces their primary TV. I’ve had my current plasma screen for nearly five years and have no plans on replacing it until it dies. Then again, however, I’m not a huge home theater buff either so I could see where there could be an appeal. Perhaps staggering the upgrade every few years would be a more reasonable approach for someone like me.

Permalink to story.

$300? I know I frequently ***** and complain about pricing but cmon I think I have a case here... I bought an entire HDTV, a NIB 40" 1080p 5MS Sceptre LCD for $280 shipped during Xmas time for a wedding gift (its actually not bad) for less then the price of this kit.

The 8000 series TV cost 2000+$, so 300$ to upgrade is not bad. Of course you don't need to upgrade every year but after 3-4 years instead of buying a brand new TV you pay 300$ and get a nice upgrade.

I recently just grabbed the 60 inch ES8000 model for an almost half price sale for just a tad over $2200, mind you the full price was $4000. it was last year's model and best time to buy. needless to say, unless the Evo Kit will improve image quality, it's pretty much a waste of money. I don't use the Smart Hub at all, the TV for most, are just a monitor, or extension of other devices. I personally don't see a need for a faster quad core and a newer Smart Hub interface just so I can browse their apps faster. for that I have my HTPC which does all the content interaction and playback. The success of Samsung's Evo Kit all hinges on the day it releases, whether it'll improve image quality, or just useless hardware upgrade. unfortunately samsung has been keeping a tight lip on exactly what the Evo kit will improve, and to add fuel onto the fire, their sales team at trade shows are not fully informed or knowledgable on this matter, some say it does improve image quality, while other samsung reps over the web confirmed that it won't. only time will tell whether this will be a flop or hit.

I recently just grabbed the 60 inch ES8000 model for an almost half price sale for just a tad over $2200, mind you the full price was $4000. it was last year's model and best time to buy. needless to say, unless the Evo Kit will improve image quality, it's pretty much a waste of money. I don't use the Smart Hub at all, the TV for most, are just a monitor, or extension of other devices. I personally don't see a need for a faster quad core and a newer Smart Hub interface just so I can browse their apps faster. for that I have my HTPC which does all the content interaction and playback. The success of Samsung's Evo Kit all hinges on the day it releases, whether it'll improve image quality, or just useless hardware upgrade. unfortunately samsung has been keeping a tight lip on exactly what the Evo kit will improve, and to add fuel onto the fire, their sales team at trade shows are not fully informed or knowledgable on this matter, some say it does improve image quality, while other samsung reps over the web confirmed that it won't. only time will tell whether this will be a flop or hit.
I have 2 smart TVs, both LEDs, one 2012 model, the other a 2011 model. The smart hub is cool and all, but the app eco system is garbage.

I disagree. How can $280 be less than half of $300?
I own a 2012 led 7500 series Samsung Smart TV with a slolt for the evolution kit.

This TV is absolutely amazing and the picture quality (mine is set to dynmaic) is the best I have ever seen and beats my Panasonic Plasma hands down. Both are 3d TVs.

VUDU brodacasts in HEX, HD, and SD picture quality at a different cost for each one. I can find little difference in picture quality with the Samsung by chosing the cheaper SD.

The apps are fantastic, the gimmicks are fantastic, and I am sure the evolution kit will be fantastic.

Fred

$300? I know I frequently ***** and complain about pricing but cmon I think I have a case here... I bought an entire HDTV, a NIB 40" 1080p 5MS Sceptre LCD for $280 shipped during Xmas time for a wedding gift (its actually not bad) for less then the price of this kit.

Nice. Comparing a p.o.s off brand LCD w/ a high end plasma. Talk about what you know. BOOGERS AND DINGLE-BERRIES

Nice. Comparing a p.o.s off brand LCD w/ a high end plasma. Talk about what you know. BOOGERS AND DINGLE-BERRIES
Thats what you call a high end TV? Looks like another ripoff for overpriced technologies that no one wants or cares about.

Back