SATA Burners

Poppa Bear

Am thinking of upgrading from IDE to SATA optical drive burners, but several people have reported problems with them until they installed a larger power supply.

Can anyone confirm or rebuff?

Umm Rebuff, but I need to look up that word, I don't use it much

By the way, there is no need to update a burner from IDE to Sata
(it doesn't help do the job better or anything)

Rebuff

Type it in a "word" document and click Tools/language/thesaurus = reject, refute, disclaim,snub, repulse, give the cold shoulder, decline, deny.... LOL! :haha:

Cheers PB

Thanks Poppa Bear !

Wait I knew that :)

Actually I just right click on the word and check it in Office 2007

:haha:

SATA is theoretically supposed to be faster than IDE, but actual performance is limited by the mechanical performance of the drives. A 7200RPM IDE drive performs on par with a 7200RPM SATA drive.

I don't see how there would be any power issues, they likely have identical parts inside, with the circuit board being the only difference just to handle the different type of interface.

Thanks SNGX1275

Have done a bit of investigation outside Techspot with PC retail outlets. The general consensus was that when SATA burners first came on the market there were some problems which had mistakenly been attributed to power supply being under specification. However, it was more to do with specific brands of burners and other sundry problems which have been sorted out.

When I was building my latest rig, they about the same price, so I figured why not. The Lite-on I got is quick and solid as a rock.

If I were replacing I'd probably go Sata DVD. Why not, I've got all these onboard Sata ports, and just one IDE (ATA)

But I wouldn't just replace the Drive to update to Sata. There's no benefit

The only advantage of SATA over IDE is that SATA is hot-swappable, but even that feature is only really useful IMO if you have an eSATA port.

Back