Sata Drive is not recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks hope someone can help me. I have recently bought a seagate 320gb sata drive which i am trying to run alongside 2 seagate ide drives. I downloaded disc wizard and floppy drivers for the drive from the seagate website but disc wizard will not find the drive in windows. The bios can see the drive and shows it as primary master sata. I also have tried to install xp on to it using the floppy drivers and pushing f6 on setup but the drive will not appear in setup. I have tried with both ide drives present and not present but am now running out of ideas. This the first time i have used sata and therefore have no experience with them.
my motherboard is an asus ps400d - 2.4 pentium (overclocked at 3)

motherboard is an asus ps400d - 2.4 pentium (overclocked at 3)
An Intel board... and since you aren't using RAID, that means AHCI could be enabled. It's just a 'generic solution', but disable any options in the BIOS pertaining to AHCI or enhanced SATA mode. I've seen a lot of odd problems caused by this feature with different drives and operating systems.

If you're board supports 'SATA-II' (aka. 300 or 3GHz), consider lowering the SATA speed to SATA I (150 / 1.5GHz).

You may also want to try the Seagate diagnostic, which is different from the Disc Wizard (which you shouldn't need, anyhow) Here's the link: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

SATA drives

I am trying to install 2 SATA WD drives but don't want to use Raid. In the Bios I have IDE enables but have SATA cables,is this correct. I have tried it in both modes. After hitting F6 it recognizes both drives in the boot sequence. After attempting to install XP and hitting enter to install the OS I get a blue screen that tells me cannot continue no hard drives detected and to make sure all connections are secure and drives are powered on. Have also run WD diagostics zero out drives and ran with no errors. I am attempting to NTLDR fix disk that came with this site. Any comments that can help me!!!

I have IDE enables but have SATA cables,is this correct.
Using SATA with IDE enabled is OK.

After hitting F6 it recognizes both drives in the boot sequence. After attempting to install XP and hitting enter to install the OS I get a blue screen that tells me cannot continue no hard drives detected and to make sure all connections are secure and drives are powered on.
First, disable any RAID options your BIOS may have. If it says something like "Enabled RAID for SATA" then disable it. If your BIOS has "IDE for Sata" or "IDE mode/emulation" for SATA then enable it. Make certain you have the right drivers on your floppy disk. Many motherboards have two seperate controllers... One for onboard SATA and one for RAID SATA. Try changing SATA ports if you have more than two... As one may require different drivers than the other.

I am attempting to NTLDR fix disk that came with this site.
So you're getting an NTLDR is missing message? This means your boot order is not correct or you have not installed Windows yet. If you've actually managed to install Windows but it displays the NTLDR error, make sure you set your boot order correctly in the BIOS and attempt to reinstall Windows again. If you have not been able to install Windows, then this error is not important.

asus ps400d
I can't find this model - or anything simliar - anywhere. http://usa.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3&l2=0&l3=0&modelmenu=0&share=txt/60

I'm having a very similar issue that has been bugging me for a while. I have 2 IDE drives, and 1 new OEM Western Digital 250gb SATA drive. All drives are functioning, but ever since I put in the new sata drive, everytime I boot windows I get "IDE Channel" errors and it tells me to put in xp sp2 disc, I do, but it fixes nothing. My motherboard is an asus p4p800SE, with latest bios, but I cannot locate the proper drivers if any that are needed to correct my issue. I don't even know if it's a driver issue, but IDE+Sata are not getting along well on my system, even though again all drives are functioning for the time being.

After following every possible avenue and my last resort was to install the drivers on the floppy and insert into windows installation when asked for the Third Party Raid-the drivers were installed successfully, but still when all said and done I got the same message:
Cannot continue make sure your drives are powered on and connected properly, which they are!!!
I give up!!
Thanks for all the help to fellow Techs.

Hi,

I use 2 IDE drives with a SATA drive with no problems, although I had similar set up problems to yourself when I first installed it.
Have you changed the settings in the BIOS to SATA + PATA?
This is all I had to do to enable the SATA drive, no driver etc needed.
Just double check your BIOS settings m8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back