Scratched PS3 GPU PCB

I dont know man, but I recommend not touching those components of a game system... they are meant to not be tampered with. How do you even know it is getting hot without monitoring temps?? It is meant to operate at high temps bud.

Scratching the PCB should not hurt it in anyway since it is just silicon and unless you cross a metal area on the pcb I think you are fine.

The system is dead, I managed to get a new chip though, I scratched probably 10-15 traces ! ( I need a microscope-lvl soldering tools to connect them! ) I contacted an Iphone repairing workshop, that uses such tools, however, the workers refused to help!. I managed to find a scraped board, I will continue my testing on Monday, thank you all for helping and sorry for my bad english.

No problem, best of luck. How old is your PS3? Maybe a warranty covers it? (I doubt it since that probably voids your warranty)

You generally have to cut pretty deep to cut through the traces.
If you were trying to do it on purpose for example, you'd take an exacto or similar and run over the trace several times until you can put the knife under the trace and pull it up.

You generally have to cut pretty deep to cut through the traces.
If you were trying to do it on purpose for example, you'd take an exacto or similar and run over the trace several times until you can put the knife under the trace and pull it up.

That's true, but somehow ps3 chip is different, I contacted a friend of mine, who works in a ps3 workshop, he told me that such things are very hard to fix and he could never ever fixed such problems. In addition, the console was working fine till I made that little scratch :(. I honestly think that maybe its a cpu error; I did a reflow on botch chips anyways.

Again, thank you all, and sorry for my shitty english.

I replaced the gpu, its not working. My diagnosis is, the system is selfaware and refuse to work. Im tired of this, by the way, what chips I have to take I I want to swap the cpu?!

The PS3 is a integrated system. Hardware isn't made to be swappable. The only way you're going to change anything on that board is by soldering it on. With that said, unless you're some expert I wouldn't even attempt it.

The PS3 is a integrated system. Hardware isn't made to be swappable. The only way you're going to change anything on that board is by soldering it on. With that said, unless you're some expert I wouldn't even attempt it.
Was the original GPU soldered on?

Was the original GPU soldered on?
Well, I know from the couple PS3 systems I've opened up they were all integrated. I don't see why it would be any different for his. Also, he mentioned in one of his replies he needed 'microscope- level'(never heard of any such tool) soldering tools to reconnect them. So, I assume they were soldered on in the first place.

Well, I know from the couple PS3 systems I've opened up they were all integrated. I don't see why it would be any different for his. Also, he mentioned in one of his replies he needed 'microscope- level'(never heard of any such tool) soldering tools to reconnect them. So, I assume they were soldered on in the first place.
Do you think this may change from 1st gen ps3 to 2nd gen and then to 3rd gen? Maybe the 1st gen wasn't soldered on (this wouldn't make much sense) but as the generations got thinner they may have resorted to soldering? An interesting thought but I think they were all soldered talking from an electrical stand point.

Well, I know that the FAT PS3 and Slim PS3 both have integrated components. I've opened up each in the past.

I replaced the chip by using a reballing machine, after all the trouble Ive been through, I contacted my friend who works in a workshop, we are going to reball or replace the cpu as a final attempt; however, we are going to do that in the next month, sometimes, its better to bury the deads :), I will post my results. Thank you all.

Back