Screen images not showing correctly, sometimes dark, acting really funny

Hey all,

I have a problem with my Asus G50VT-X5. Sometimes when I bring it out of sleep or power it on, the screen will either

(1) Stay "dark," but though not completely dead or unpowered. It's just dark colored, still lit up, like it's in the BIOS. CPU LED indicator shows there's activity and I can press my caps key and activate/deactivate the caps LED

or

(2) Start shifting between single colors...red-->green>blue>and so on.

Closing/opening the laptop solves this problem only half the time. Turning off the monitor's lighting (FN+F7) doesn't solve the problem as reactivating the monitor light just brings me back right to the problem. I can still see stuff perfectly on my 24" external monitor while it's plugged to the laptop, meaning the GPU's properly functioning. But the laptop screen's been having this problem quite a bit lately!

Could someone please tell me what the problem is and whether I can hope to hire someone in my area to get it fixed reasonably cheap? I'd like to keep this laptop as it's been overall solid and reliable aside from this problem!

Thanks!

Laptop screen problems

If your laptop works correctly on an external monitor, then it points either to the screen invertor, or the ribbon connection between the motherboard and the screen.
The invertor will cost about £18 or $32, but you can re-fit the screen ribbon yourself for free. But it's not out of the question it could be a screen panel
replacement job. Hope that's of some help.

If your laptop works correctly on an external monitor, then it points either to the screen invertor, or the ribbon connection between the motherboard and the screen.
The invertor will cost about £18 or $32, but you can re-fit the screen ribbon yourself for free. But it's not out of the question it could be a screen panel
replacement job. Hope that's of some help.

Thanks for the reply.

Any suggestions on how to check for what it really is? Possibly take it to a computer repair shop and let them figure it out?

Back