Screen Tearing or Input Lag? To Vsync or Not to Vsync?

Call me crazy, but since when can you update the RTSS Framerate limit with decimal values? I find it kinda funny that the screenshot used for this portion of the article doesn't have a value there, but the one for moving the scanline does.

Good article, but the way to go is quite simple nowadays: Gsync/Freesync + Vsync.
As well as VRR which is a HDMI standard which I believe is exclusive to HDMI 2.1 at the moment that is open and doesn't require Gsync or Freesync. I would think in another 5 years we would move past screen tearing as a whole. Display port is a whole other ball game and tends to be ahead of the curve at least with display port 2.0. In this case I would think Gsync and Freesync would play a big role unless they adopt a version of VRR. The problem is display port is very exclusive to monitors as opposed to TVs.

Interesting article and not something I was aware of the workings entirely (I have a freesync monitor currently). However, I might set it up on the 1080p non VRR monitor on my wifes PC.

I'd like to add that inputting your refresh rate as the framerate limit in rtss will make your frametimes completely stable as long as you're hitting the refresh rate.

As well as VRR which is a HDMI standard which I believe is exclusive to HDMI 2.1 at the moment that is open and doesn't require Gsync or Freesync. I would think in another 5 years we would move past screen tearing as a whole. Display port is a whole other ball game and tends to be ahead of the curve at least with display port 2.0. In this case I would think Gsync and Freesync would play a big role unless they adopt a version of VRR. The problem is display port is very exclusive to monitors as opposed to TVs.
As far as I'm using a PC, I don't want it to be connected to a TV.
Consoles are another matter...

For the old desktop computers, Half Vsync is useful to limit the FPS to 30. That has allowed me to play GTA V at 1080p on a computer with a Core2duo from 2008 and a GTX750ti.

Call me crazy, but since when can you update the RTSS Framerate limit with decimal values? I find it kinda funny that the screenshot used for this portion of the article doesn't have a value there, but the one for moving the scanline does.

I also didn't know you could do it , but then I learned that for inputing the decimal (the dot), the numeric numpad doesnt work, you must use the dot key.

I've used this technique since I read about it on blur busters. They say that for it to work you must disable in-game VSync and enable it on your GPU control panel. Is that correct or does it also work with in-game vsync? Also, what happens with those game that work on borderless Fullscreen?

I kinda forgot about this "issue" in 2016 when I got my G-Sync monitor. Both tearing and lag/stuttering are terrible for me.
I only got mine in 2020, and only because my no name Korean monitor suddenly died.
Worst yet, it happened in the middle of Chinese virus outbreak. Amazon sold out most of the good ones. My choice was between curved monitors and curved 4k monitors. And I really did not want a curved monitor. A higher range gaming 1080p monitor was not exactly what I wanted, but there was not much to choose from back then.

Good article, but the way to go is quite simple nowadays: Gsync/Freesync + Vsync.

What an ignorant thing to say. It's like me saying that the only games that matter at all are Battle Royale games, which frankly for me is true and for that purpose we have 280hz monitors with all low graphics settings. There are literally over a hundred million gamers like me. That doesn't mean I expect everyone to use their pc to play games exactly like I do.

Can you get FreeSync, 1440 or 4K pro monitors with wide gamut? I can't afford to have two monitors one for gaming and one for photo editing etc. I will never buy a low gamut panel.

You folks know you can get the exact same effecta as this third party utility by enabling NVIDIA driver- Fast Sync?

It's basically lower-latency triple-buffering; to enable it in games. turn t on universally in the drivers, and then turn every game to vsync off. Works as well as having Adaptive Sync monitor, without any of the trouble.

When playing a twitch FPS (rare for me these days), I can turn it off and just go with tearing; but for 95% of games,the lag is unnoticeable!

Last edited:
I always turn on VSync. I can't stand screen tearing. And wherever possible, I cap my games in-game at 60fps.

I don't play e-sports and I have never actually appreciated "input lags", so it doesn't concern me. Maybe I'm not sensitive to the "input lags".

It's the occassional online server lags that destroys online gaming experience for me. Anyway, I don't like online-only multiplayer games.
I mostly play open world single player games and stealth tactics games when it comes to new games.

I also prefer to play my PC games with wireless Xbox One controller. I still don't appreciate any "input lags".

But the screen tear on the other hand, it totally destroys the feel and flow of the otherwise constant butter-smooth 60fps at highest quality in 1080p or 1440p for me.

Hence, VSync at 60fps is a must for me.

Games I play are csgo and valorant. both I can easily keep above 200fps. so for me gsync and fresync I dont use. I keep uncapped fps and I dont see tearing. also this way you get the best latencies.

if I played games for fun that I struggle for frames I would turn on variable framerate tech.

Games I play are csgo and valorant. both I can easily keep above 200fps. so for me gsync and fresync I dont use. I keep uncapped fps and I dont see tearing. also this way you get the best latencies.

if I played games for fun that I struggle for frames I would turn on variable framerate tech.

Agreed, I have a 3080 and a 5600x just to play warzone on low graphics and stay around 180fps average to 220+. I want to get to 280 fps for my 280hz monitor but warzone doesn't have the engine for it

What an ignorant thing to say. It's like me saying that the only games that matter at all are Battle Royale games, which frankly for me is true and for that purpose we have 280hz monitors with all low graphics settings. There are literally over a hundred million gamers like me. That doesn't mean I expect everyone to use their pc to play games exactly like I do.
my post had nothing to do with the type of game, so you just confirmed you don’t know how Gsync/Freesync works.
Speaking about ignorance...

I just ditched Rivatuner because I use the Nvidia Control Panel stuff now...
I guess I'll put it back ;-)

Back