Seagate Barracuda DM001

GeneralJock

I suspect my current data HDD is playing up (see other post on gremlins) as I am getting the "click of death" and my system is hanging for a few seconds as it tries to read.
Now as it happens, I was in a computer hardware store yesterday and on special offer was a new 2TB Barracuda for £50 still sealed in packaging so I thought that'll do the job.
On closer inspection, I have realised I'm an *****. Why? Because it's a DM001 drive manufactured in 2012. I should have noticed this, and frankly can't believe I didn't, but it does mean that this drive will probably share the same firmware bug as the drive I currently have. I can try asking for a replacement or swap but of course the drive isn't faulty so I would be surprised if he agrees as it's clearly stock he's trying to shift.
Unsure if I should just use the drive and see how it goes (I back everything up all the time anyway) or just write the loss of and buy a more reliable drive like the WD blue drives with their 5 year warranty which everyone seems to rave about. Any thoughts.

I think he'll probably exchange it, but for another drive and the price won't be so good. To be fair, I've got 5 years out of the 1TB Barracuda I currently have, before it started all this clicking lark.
Nice to know the 2TB drives are not quite as bad (one less platter I think). Given my current drive is about to die, I think I'll use it anyway, and just wait for a good deal on on a WD Blue. I currently back up data to a portable USB3.0 drive (also a Seagate) and also backup all my photos to google drive and a separate WD USB portable.
Back in my tech days I had a 3-drive 500GB RAID array - remember them? I though it was the bollocks.
Now I think I'm going to pay for some serious on-line storage just back up to that weekly going forward.
Thanks for the comments.

I think he'll probably exchange it, but for another drive and the price won't be so good. To be fair, I've got 5 years out of the 1TB Barracuda I currently have, before it started all this clicking lark.
Nice to know the 2TB drives are not quite as bad (one less platter I think). Given my current drive is about to die.

I have much more better idea stick your current broken seagate drive into the trash can.
Make sure you backup whatever files you want.
eCuBLhRz_400x400.jpg

Then you can go ahead and finish savin more bucks for this here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CSIG1G/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

Back