Seagate unveils 2.5" 600GB 10K-RPM enterprise HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Seagate has introduced what it claims is the world's highest-capacity, most reliable small form factor enterprise hard drive, the Savvio 10K.4. The drive is made in 450GB and 600GB capacities (twice as much as its nearest competitor), boasts a spindle speed of 10,000RPM, a MTBF of two million hours, and crams it all into a 2.5-inch form factor.

Aimed at enterprise customers, the Savvio 10K.4 uses a 6Gb/s SAS or 4Gb/s Fiber Channel connection, and features Protection Information for enhanced protection of data in flight. SAS models also have a TCG-compliant SED (self-encrypting drive) option for additional protection of sensitive data at rest. All of the drives have PowerChoice technology and an average idle draw of 4.6W.

Combined, Seagate believes the Savvio 10K.4's features offer a greater overall value and can reduce the total cost of ownership to IT organizations. The company hasn't disclosed pricing or ship dates.

Permalink to story.

I love the TCO statement on a drive that hasn't issued a price. I will guess that this drive has a list price of 4 figures. So, saving me money? Hmm, maybe if I was going to buy an equivilent SSD alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back