Search this

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirock

WTF, you search Tom Tom and see what you find. I tried 5 ways and I'm educated and not an *****, but I ran out of options. results ....zero (no shock).

Is there some magic I need to know to perform a real search or does your Forum search engine suck?

Lover of TS.

PS. The thread I'm looking for is titled Tom Tom. just in case you were wondering. I used the space so your stupid edit software won't it all out. WE ARE ALL ADULTS HERE JULIO (I LOVE YOU BTW), I THINK WE CAN DECIDE WHEN A PROFANITY IS APPROPRIATE!

pss. OK maybe a profanity in the Title is NOT appropriate and your SW SHOULD search there. BUT the odd profanity inside a thread is just the real world, gimme a break. I'm 46 years old btw. If you need proof I'll provide.

Wow man, I don't know whether to close this thread to let you avoid further embarassment, or whether to just let you run with this. Long term members have known the limitations of the search on these forums and just dealt with it. We've dealt with it without resorting to profanities too.

1489 posts, and you made this thread. I'm tempted to just leave it open to see how much you implode.

The thread you are seeking is here: Tom Tom

kirock said:
WTF, you search Tom Tom and see what you find. I tried 5 ways and I'm educated and not an *****, but I ran out of options. results ....zero (no shock).

Is there some magic I need to know to perform a real search or does your Forum search engine suck?

Lover of TS.

PS. The thread I'm looking for is titled Tom Tom. just in case you were wondering. I used the space so your stupid edit software won't it all out. WE ARE ALL ADULTS HERE JULIO (I LOVE YOU BTW), I THINK WE CAN DECIDE WHEN A PROFANITY IS APPROPRIATE!

pss. OK maybe a profanity in the Title is NOT appropriate and your SW SHOULD search there. BUT the odd profanity inside a thread is just the real world, gimme a break. I'm 46 years old btw. If you need proof I'll provide.
First of all, it's been known for eons that it stinks. I agree there. And also that you've left yourself open for a flamewar. I'd recommend a new search engine, but I'm not really a person who gets too much input around here unless we have a thread opened by a mod asking for input. Maybe some day we'll talk them into it.

Now, to help your search, I'd suggest this. use google. If you use the site: operator, you can get results only on TS. I used: "site:techspot.com tom" and tom tom was the first match.

And profanity is a double edged sword. We once had a really good contributing youngster *cough*ynw*cough*, for whom it wouldn't have been appropriate at his youngest age. I think he can keep up with us now. Opening the floodgates though can/will eventually degrade post quality to a level I know we don't want here. Best to err on the good side here.

kirock said:
Yes, the search engine does kind of 'suck', but 'Tom Tom' doesn't show up because searches are limited to words that are 4 characters or longer.

kirock said:
WE ARE ALL ADULTS HERE JULIO (I LOVE YOU BTW), I THINK WE CAN DECIDE WHEN A PROFANITY IS APPROPRIATE!
I think Julio already DID decide - Rules are rules and while a lot of us may not care one way or the other, there's those few people who'd be really upset. It's always 'the few' that ruins it for everyone else, isn't it? :(

As I have explained before there are two ways you can search these forums, using the built-in database-based search that comes with vBulletin or use Google's search.

The first is available using the search link in the forum navbar and the second by simply using the search box at the top of every page at the opposite side of the logo.

Rather than hoping you keep things civil I will be closing this thread since the actual question for which it was open has been answered already.

If for some reason you are left wondering why limiting the number of characters in vb's search: 1) it's a recommended default setting, simply put, it's the most efficient way of keeping the database sane. 2) we give the option of using google's search which is not up to date to the very second but refreshes I would say every few days for our site.

In conclusion offering both is like having the best of both worlds.

The search this..oops thread.

Thank you gentleman for your responses. I must apologize for my out burst and the use of profanity. I really don't care to use profanity and withdraw any suggest that we be allowed to use it here.

It's my Birthday today and I was having a few beers last night when I posted that, to my shame.
:blush:

I must express how much I love this site and how much I respect Julio and all you great admins here. I'm deeply ashamed of myself for my stupid outburst and can't apologize enough.

All my best.

Kirock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back