secure wireless internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do i secure my wireless internet? i want it password protected so others will not have access to it. right now it is open to anyone in my area.
HELP!!!!

If it's 802.11b then you'll probably need to set up WEP encryption - this means entering a key for all your wireless clients. If it's 802.11g then WPA is a better route. As a secondary measure I'd also use MAC filtering. This way you limit the MAC addresses that can connect to your WAP to specific MAC addresses. I would also disable the broadcast of your SSID and manually input them for your clients.

LNCPapa said:
If it's 802.11b then you'll probably need to set up WEP encryption - this means entering a key for all your wireless clients. If it's 802.11g then WPA is a better route. As a secondary measure I'd also use MAC filtering. This way you limit the MAC addresses that can connect to your WAP to specific MAC addresses. I would also disable the broadcast of your SSID and manually input them for your clients.
all correct steps; I recommend ordering the changes:
  1. Mac filtering
  2. disable broadcasting
  3. add encryption
Make one change at a time, save the results, restart the router, and test your connection.

When you disable broadcasting, you will need to specify it manually and then
select this as a preferred connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back