Seeing Red - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

b2bomber81

Running Win XP (Home)
ATI 9600 All In Wonder
Sylvania F72 (CRT)

Sitting here working on a website, and all of a sudden my display shifts to red. Without any action from me. I didn't touch anything.

I adjusted the connector at the card, and it very obviously started shifting colors from white to red, and back. It's very tight into the card, not loose. Any thoughts?

odd...very odd
you might want to find any old moniter or even a tv and see if the problem still occurs on that. If not then its ur moniter, otherwise it has to be the graphics card i think. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed - they probebly wont fix the problem but its worth a try.

Hope that helps.

Steg

How old is the monitor? It's quite possible that one or two of the color guns are going.....thereby the monitor itself. Only other potential is a bad pin in the connection.....either at the extreme monitor end or on the monitor cable where it meets the vid card.

If you have been plugging or unplugging your monitor recently, you might have bent the pins inside the connector. I have seen this happen many times, it will work fine for a while, then after time it will start shifting colors, depending on which pin is bent. Take a look at that and post back.

To answer a couple of questions posed here....

I have only had the monitor for a couple of months, but I bought it used at a local store. I would be its probably about 5 years old? Not sure on that though. It's in excellent shape.

I haven't been plugging/unplugging the monitor much at all. I think I've done that maybe 3 times since I've had the monitor. But that bent pin idea is a good one - I'll check it out and get back to you guys on that. It's plugged into the card via an adapter that converts the port to VGA. Could also have something to do with those pins - I'll check those too.

Thanks!

check the vga cord where it plugs into the monitor. I had thought my cord integral to the lcd (it being my first) only to discover that sony had hidden the connector behind a clever little cover. It had become loose and was intermittenly fouling the vid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back