Server Not Found-- Possible (Probable) DNS Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope I am posting this in the correct forum...

I have talked to various sources including my internet service provider and router manufacturer. I think we have determined that my problem is this:

When I ping IP addresses, I lose no packets (440) for example http://64.233.167.147 for www.google.com, however when I ping URLs, they do not go through (404). I get the error message from Firefox: "Server not found." My computer will not take any of the DNS numbers people have provided me with in attempts to fix this problem.

I suppose this is a DNS error. I am running Windows XP. FYI: I may appear semi-computer literate since I've been talking tech-support for the past 24 hours, but I'm really not. If you have any ideas, please keep tech-speak simple if possible! Also, I am avoiding speaking with the manufacturer of my laptop since my warranty is expired and they will charge me for support--any ideas would be appreciated, just point me in the right direction! THANK YOU!

u are in the right forum

All I am going to say is u must have problems as I am running and old system and I can do any thing you are speaking of and all works.

hope for others to help u

Lets start by looking at what you have.

Go to Start->Run and type in "cmd". Click OK.
In the command prompt window type "ipconfig /all". Post the output here.

Thanks but...

At last I have solved my own problem! Apparently my Norton Personal Firewall was the cause all along. I experimented with it turned off and my internet came back to life. I must have told it to block something by accident. Thank you for you concern/help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back