Several bad things happening together. Well, 3. Related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtmonitorftw

Alright, firstly, the specs. The computer is/was a Sun server that a friend used and modified to run Windows XP, then he upgraded it and eventually gave it to me. The specs are: Dual-Core AMD Opteron Processor 1218, 2.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT.

This computer will typically do one of three things, usually several times during one period of time. Sometimes it will restart without warning, sometimes it will freeze, and now recently (because I set it to do so) it will show me the BSOD instead of simply restarting. However, there are times when it still just restarts and skips the BSOD.

The BSOD error is stop: 0x0000008e and it references the Nv4_disp.dll. I found this exact strain in aumha: " Games: “Stop” Error Message That References Nv4_disp.dll {KB 325730} Flight Simulator, other games (wth Nvidia-based video adapter) " However, the link provided, which lead to a microsoft page, no longer exists, so I do not know how to proceed from there.

Normally, the computer will restart or freeze while I'm playing a game (I.e. Half life 2, WoW, Borderlands, even old games like Starcraft and Diablo) There have been times when it has restarted for no real reason at all, and even sometimes immediatly AFTER restarting. (That one actually made me laugh. Granted, I was already rather peeved at my inability to solve the problem.)

The computer is clean on the inside and out. It's not overheating. I detect no problems with the ram. Occasionally it will think my graphics card is a network card, but I managed to solve that problem for the most part.

Note that, at times, it will have NO problems at all and run perfectly fine for days on end, only to go batsh*t insane with the aformentioned problems for a few hours to an entire day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ran Driver sweeper.

Restarted computer.

I am now staring at a new BSOD that rears it's ugly head right at the windows startup.

STOP: 0x0000007e (0xC0000005, 0xB5926174, etc.etc.)

well, crud.

Any help on how to fix this new problem? I'm looking it up as I type this, as well.

Check C:\Windows\Minidump folder, for any recent Minidumps to Attach >
attach.gif
to a new reply

Difficult to do since I'm having trouble starting the computer up in the first place. I'm currently accessing the forum via my laptop.

Edit: I'll attempt to type it all in if I can get access through safe mode.

Managed to get access to the most recent dumps ( a total of ten!) via safe mode and a USB drive.

Uploading the first five, will upload the second five in a second.

Many things for the help you've provided already.

I don't need anything "typed in"
I just need the latest Minidump attached by using the "Manage Attachments button (located under the reply window, when you reply)
Although here's hoping Safe Mode with Networking works

Otherwise select Last Known Good Configuration

EDIT

Oh you replied :/

Please hold...

Right, sorry for letting my ignorance show there. That would be my first time dealing with .dmp files, and I wasn't aware I couldn't simply open the file and simply copy the contents. I appologize for that.

You say you did run Driver Sweeper?
Because : nv4_disp.dll is the reason for these Minidumps, and that file should have been removed with Driver Sweeper :confused:

If you can access Safe Mode, run Driver Sweeper again, and try to uninstall all nVidia (Video) Drivers

Right, sorry for letting my ignorance show there. That would be my first time dealing with .dmp files, and I wasn't aware I couldn't simply open the file and simply copy the contents. I appologize for that.
You can't, you must attach them, as you did

I most certainly did run it. I shall do so again, and run it more than once to ensure it does as it should.

Annoyingly enough, several of the files it claimed to clean were still there, including the nv4_disp.dll file.

It took another TWO more times before it finally deleted the file and booted properly. I will now install the drivers you linked to earlier.

A new problem arose, I can't connect to the internet at all on the computer. Give me a minute, I know how to fix that at least. I'll give you an update in a few.

Just quoting myself, whilst you install the network drivers again
Seems this may be the fault you are having:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999188

Discusses "Borderlands" game with nVidia drivers
I don't think I can offer anymore help on this either
Except uninstall the games so your computer works again (especially if they are non-authentic)
Or try to find a compatible nVidia driver, or ask your game support site if there is a patch or something

Thank you for all the help you DID provide. Aside from the small problems I caused by myself, the process worked perfectly, and I don't seem to having any restarts or the like, even when I try to "force" one by doing things I that were normally sure to have such a result.

I also appreciate the fact that you would go out of your way to find an alternate solution for me as well. Thank you so much.

Hmm, that's nice :) Thanks to you too
I'm not a gamer any longer, and I tend to stay with the Windows (general) type faults
Anyway, all's well :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back