Severe Problems after SP3 Failed to install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am a new member here, and i have run into a mess of problems.
Normally, i am able to fix these myself, but it's starting to get really bad, more than what I can handle.

I was installing Windows Service Pack 3 to my computer, and when it got to about 90% completion, the setup shut off. I hadn't pressed the cancel button. when the setup had completely shut off, every single privelige i had was gone. i couldn't open anything. i restarted by computer, and the privelege problem was fixed But my internet was about 90% out. i could connect to the internet with 3 programs. Steam,Xfire, Skype. all of my browsers were useless, along with any other program that could connect to the itnernet besides the 3 listed above. another thing it caused is that all of my Accessories programs are gone.(Paint, Search, Solitaire, etc.) i managed to replace paint with a friend's copy of the exe, but the rest are still gone.

A friend of mine suggested that i do a system restore from before i had installed SP3, and i agreed. It ran, and it didn't help. Steam had ceased fuctioning, along with anoher program, XFire. Normally, i could take the time to fix this myself, but I'm the team manager of a mod team, and Steam is the only way i can communicate with them, time is of the essence,

another person suggested that i run Recovery console with the commands:
fixmbr :c/
chkdsk /f /r

Recover console will not open, and it does not show up in the boot menu.

I need help fixing these,
I'll run whatever is needed to get the 4 things running again.

Well, in your position, I would do a repair install with Win XP SP2 disk and then check operations again.

Well, you can download SP2 separately and do a repair install with SP1 then merge the SP2 but that is time consuming.

Slipstreaming is your Friend!

Tell Kimsland. He thinks there is no such thing as an SP3 problem.

We see this frequently, and what works for us is to cold boot to SAFE MODE then use Add and Remove to delete SP3. We keep copies of the SP2 disk on hand. You can order it from Microsoft by telephone for $3.40.
Deframent the drive using the Windows Defrag in Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer management-Defragment.
Once defragged, Install SP2 using the SP2 disk rather than download SP2... so you have to wait a few days for the SP2 disk to arrive.
Once done, you should then update the SP2 to assure you have Windows Media Player 11, Java, and Visual Basic, then reboot and run the SP3.
This usually works fine for us, if you have enough memory... 512MB or more.

Oh, and ahhh, there is a shipping charge on top of the $3.40 SP2 disk charge. It comes via FedEx or DHL so it will cost you nearly $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back