Shall I Upgrade My Processor/What Processors are Compatible With My Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TL93

Shall I Upgrade My Processor/What Processors are CompatibleWith My Board?

Well as you can tell from the title, i'm wondering if I should upgrade my processor and what processors are compatible with my board.

I have a ASUS PDGT-LA [HP Goldfish3].

I currently have a Intel Pentium 4 519K 3.06Ghz 533 Mhz FSB 64-bit Processor.

Would upgrading to a 640 or a 630 be worth the $100?

What processors are compatible with my board?

Thanks in Advance,
Tim

Kimsland, thing is, i've looked at their charts for CPUs and some like for example the 631 and the 641 Processors don't support the 915GV Chipset even though they're within specs...

It depends

This kind of update doesn't usually give you much more for the cost.
Best to update MBD and CPU at the same time.
How do you know this,i doubt it's that much.

Then ask this.:rolleyes:
What processors are compatible with my board?

Answering the question:

IMHO I would say is not worth it, but... what do you want to do with your system that you are willing to upgrade? just have a faster system? playing games? music? watch movies?

In my particular experience I've had upgrade systems from P4 2.80Ghz to 3.06 and 3.40Ghz and I've seen little or no advantages at all, some benchmarks improved but for the regular use you'll hardly notice improvements. however I've done this on socket mPGA 478 and yours is LGA 775

Besides, your motherboard doesn't seem to have any expansion slots besides normal PCI, that limits a lot if you want to add a video card in the future, but again I don't know what are you plans for this system.

I would say, if those $100 you were planning to spend on the CPU you add something around 80-100 more you might be able to get a nice dual core CPU and micro ATX motherboard with onboard video (if you don't want to play games) but that still have a PCI-E slot if you plan to add a video card in the future and I'll dare to say you will have a huge boost on the performance of your system, and since you have DDR2 already I guess you don't have to worry about memory or HDD.

Well i'm thinking about this route because this is what i'd have to buy in order to have a working PC.

- Micro ATX Board [9.6 x 9.6 Preferred]
- Intel or AMD Dual Core/Quad Core
- DDR2-533/667/800 Ram [Since not many motherboards support DDR2-400 Ram]
- Power Supply Unit [Mine is currently rated at 200 Watts and only good for normal use]
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit [Can't use the current OS unless i get the new motherboard tattooed unless anyone knows a better way of getting a working OS which can have enabled Updates]
- Video Card* [I can live with Onboard for abit till i get a new Video Card]

Totalling up all this without Video Card and i get a grand total of $450 depending on what i get.

Well i'll might just open a new topic somewhere about Overhauling the PC as mentioned but just send me to the direction to where to post the thread for Overhauling/Building the PC.

Thanks,
Tim

Fix this now

Power Supply Unit [Mine is currently rated at 200 Watts and only good for normal use]
This is useless,get at least 400 asap.Who installed just 200 ?
Sounds like a Dell .

I'm curious about your RAM, I might be unaware of the existance of DDR2-400 but I just want to make sure, are you 100% sure you RAM is DDR2-400? is not 400 for single channel and 800 for dual? if there was DDR-400 I see no point of create DDR2-400, but like I said I might be unaware of some first attemps of DDR2

100% agree on the PSU, 200w should be discontinued long time ago, even tough you could be fine without the videocard with just mobo, cpu, optical & HDD, is still risky to overload such a cheap PSU, so first move might be getting a min 450-500w PSU with 18a on the 12v rail, better to get one with dual or triple 12v rails (if you are planning to get a mid/high end video card)

Yes, its DDR2-400... DDR2-400 / PC2-3200 You can buy DDR2-400/PC2-3200 at NCIX.

My motherboard supports DDR2-400 and DDR2-533.

I know about the PSU and i've checked the specs and their all within but that was just HPs way of saying "We're a big company and like to save even $10!!!"

I would upgrade the video card and not even think twice about it if i have a PCI-e x16 slot but HP didn't put one and just left the slot un soldered [theres a space for one].

System Specs

TL93 said:
Click my System Specs and you can clearly see its a HP Pavillion a1224n.
I doubt if most read this.Put it in your first post as it sounds like you have
a custom built PC to upgrade.
Did you read my custom built components?
HP or Dell make tthis tough and you'll probably need to buy XP.
I think Vista is only an XP upgrade.
But get the PWS Today.My asus says minimum of 500 watt.
But just a CPU will not accomplish much as your reading here.

zipperman said:
Did you read my custom built components?
Yeah, only after I read your post.

zipperman said:
HP or Dell make tthis tough and you'll probably need to buy XP.
I think Vista is only an XP upgrade.
HP only makes it hard only when you swap the motherboard, not when you change the CPU, so i really doubt the OS will stop working only for a CPU upgrade.

zipperman said:
But get the PSU Today.My asus says minimum of 500 watt.
~sigh~ but i'll do it one day...

zipperman said:
But just a CPU will not accomplish much as your reading here.
Well i know but i don't just read boards... I do some gaming, watch videos, burn DVDs, convert things, etc...

Even just waiting for the Sansa Converter to convert videos into playable formats for my player takes ages...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back