Sharing a dial up connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airwalker700

I'm staying with a cousin who lives out in the sticks, and all he has is dial up. I know that you can share internet connection through a network, but I was wondering if this was still possible on dial up, and how this would be done. He's running XP home, and I'm running XP pro.

The problem with the "sticks" in most locales is that the connection speeds are much slower than they are in town. In many locales you get 46 kbps in town and only 21 to 24 kbps in a more rural setting... as there is a greater distance between the telephone company relays... slowness comes with distance betwee relay posts.
When you connect two units... you lose another 4 to 7 kbps just because of the connection, then the resulting speed is split in half between the two.

Have you considered a satellite connection before the network... far from idea, but better than dial up.
Alternately, be sure that location is on the site for DSL. In Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado, they must connect DSL if there are 175 residences that want it... so you might snoop around.

Airwalker700 said:
I was wondering if this was still possible on dial up, and how this would be done. He's running XP home, and I'm running XP pro.
ICS still works, but it's even more painfully slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back