Should I build a server or buy a rack?

mopar man

I'll follow the sticky's set of instructions. :)

* What are you going to use the PC for?
General home server, will run some game servers (such as Minecraft and CS:S [not both at once]), and I will allow it to be a secondary gaming machine for my house.
* How much is your budget?
As cheap as possible, below 500 if at ALL possible. I already have a Graphics Card.
* Are you willing to buy online?
Of course.
* Do you need other peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, among others?
No, just optical drives.
* Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
Yes.
* Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
No.

I have an HD 5750 from a previous build, that's about it.

Would it be worth building the machine to have an extra gaming machine (I'm also limited on space) or the option of buying some mountable machines off ebay?

there are cheap rackmount cases on ebay and if you buy from some half decent company you should have a positive experience.
arrowmax/ maxtop or good.

with the budget and needs i would consider going the AMD route. probably a 1055T, 1090T or 1100T depending on whatever else you might want/need.
the 1055T goes for just under $200 and the board for probably around $150, then you have to add memory. there are good 8GB kits available right now

But considering I need a case, etc., etc., if I'm going to purchase something that similar to my current build, I will use that motherboard and processor in my current desktop and use the x3 for the server. My desktop is most important to me performance wise. Would it be worth spending that much for the x6?

are you strictly and only play with your buddies? will the server be used otherwise?
i mean will you leave it on as publicly available game server?

if not, then what you got could work. i am not sure about minecraft but CS:S can be memory intensive at times. i was running AA servers and they would eat a lot of ram.

how many users are you planning for?

k - let us know when
i think your system would be good for up to a couple dozen players .. rough estimate

I decided what I was going to do, I purchased an 1100T, 8gb of ram, and will be using a previously owned 5750. I'm going to be using the X3 720, 4gb ram, and the 5750 as a server, with the 1100t, 460 gpu, and 4GB ram. I will host a LOCAL Minecraft server, Data storage server, etc.. Server 2008 (free from school)

Thank you guys, I simply decided that I needed a second machine for someone who will be staying with me.

But considering I need a case, etc., etc., if I'm going to purchase something that similar to my current build, I will use that motherboard and processor in my current desktop and use the x3 for the server. My desktop is most important to me performance wise. Would it be worth spending that much for the x6?

You dont "NEED" a case to run a computer... here is my Minecraft server.. there isnt even a HDD, or optical drive.
2011-08-02%25252013.18.22%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

Just an FYI.. you can go cheap cheap

EDIT: In case you are wondering how this is running without a HDD, check the back USB port. :)

Back