Should i upgrade the power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyman3820

i purchased a
HIS Hightech H130HMF128E1N Radeon X1300 512MB HyperMemory with 128MB Onboard 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x1 for my dell e310 i was wondering if i sould upgrade the power supply to support this card i currently have 230 watts

Yes, but you will have to get the better supply from Dell... The prower supply may be proprietary

The problem is that it may be compatible but your computer has other hardware that needs wattage as well and your power supply is not giving enough wattage to support the other hardware.

Most new computers come with a minimum of 300watts and this is minimal at best. Recently, I ran across a topic concerning power supplies on TigerDirect.com and it makes sense. Here is what they said:

If you've added a lot of new components to your PC, you may be overtaxing your existing power supply, so look at getting a bigger, better one. Power supplies can cause problems--including random crashes or even component failure--if they are asked to produce more power than they are designed to generate.

Although many PC cases are sold with a pre-installed power supply, check it carefully---your power requirements may exceed the capacity of the pre-installed unit. How do you know? Here's a quick guide:
Motherboard
15-30

Low-End CPU
20-50

Mid To High-End CPU
40-100

RAM
7 per 128MB

PCI Add-In Card

Low To Mid-Range Graphics
20-60

High-End Graphics
60-100

IDE Hard Drive
10-30

Optical Drives
10-25

Do the math. You may need to purchase a higher-output power supply for your new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back