Simple Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cogenmaster

I have been fooling with computers for a few years now but I have never done any networking. I just recently put together a system for my boys and placed it in there bedroom downstairs. My computer is upstairs quite a good distance from their room. I would like to network the 2 computers and share my cable internet. I'd rather not have to spend a small fortune to accomplish these tasks. I remember reading about networking over the existing power lines in your home and I am aware of wireless networking which would be a plus seeing how I would have to run around 40-50 feet of cabling. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yea, wireless would most likely be the best bet for you.

You will need a wireless router. I recommend Linksys for this, but your free to choose any brand you like.

Linksys Wireless G Router
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-010&depa=0

You will also need the USB Network Adapters to connect the rest of your PC's.

Linksys Wireless USB Network Adapter
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-103&depa=0

The router will be all you need (other than one single network cable) for your main PC. You can connect the rest of your PC's up with the Wireless USB Network Adapters.

If you have two PC's you need the router + 1 USB Network Adapter, and one network cable.

I agree with Acid. I recently set up my first wireless network at home using Linksys. I installed an inexpensive eathernet card in my PC and connected it with a cable (6') to the router. The cable modem then connects to the router. I have a laptop as the remote PC but the principal is the same. You can use a USB network adpter or install a wireless network card. Just follow the directions Linksys provides and you should have no problems. If I can do it, anyone can!!

Don't take this the wrong way but this topic has been discussed dozens of times here. Isn't there a big thread about this? (Hehehehe so says the one who can't be bothered to search himself...) If there isn't then we need as sticky topic about this as its always being asked.

if you go wireless you will be spending a small fortune and it will be slow
run the wire cat5E
get cheap linksys router off of ebay
wired under 100.00 usd wireless may be up to 300.00 usd
check transfer rates on this I could be wrong

Wired is generally cheaper, and generally faster. It can be more painful to set up, and debug though.

Wireless can be relatively cheap, and is usually very easy to set up. The pain there though is in securing your network from outside usage, and eliminating interfering devices if they exist. The various types of connection cards (PCI, USB, firewire, PCMCIA and USB for laptops...) plus the self negotiation is good.

Wired has the advantage of years of time proven work, cheap cards and cables, generally cheap routers/switches, however not near as self configuring, and security can again be a concern, but not near as much as wireless.

It's been rehashed before as Phant said. Search is your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back