Simply won't boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope somebody here can help me... I'm at my wits end!

I was running my computer fine when I went off to college. I left this one at home, and my parents used it. When I came back, they said it had "stopped working". I think the problem is either the CPU, the MB, or the Power Supply, I just don't know how to tell. When you turn it on, the keyboard lights only blink once (when running correctly they blink thrice) and I think these mean something, i just can't find out what they mean. nothing appears on the screen. the MB is an intel d845hv. It may also be the memory, i just don't know. Thanks for all your help, and let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

The Musicmkr

Without further details, all I can advise is to check every cable and connection, see if there are any marks of physical damage on the mainboard, clear CMOS as detailed in your motherboard's manual, then try to turn it on again and post the results here.
Should it still not work, go to a friend or a helpful shop/service and try another stick of memory, another video card, CPU, PSU...

When you turn it on and nothing appears on the screen does the computer give you a series of beeps? Also check to make sure the PSU fan comes on as well. Most likely it's just a power supply unit (PSU) failure, which is really easy to replace.

A series of beeps indicates a system faliure and the PC cannot complete the POST to the point of displaying it to you, so it beeps instead. These failures are a little harder to determine the cause because so many diff. beep patterns from all the diff manufactures.

May have downloaded a virus, or messed with something in the windows configuration. (If it was me, I'd take my pc with me...)Yeah, without further details, we cannot help.

• Spyware
  • Virus
  • Malware
  • Hijackers

These could have happed while you were away. Did you have have any protection? If not then, you may have to format.........

Sodisna said:
May have downloaded a virus, or messed with something in the windows configuration. (If it was me, I'd take my pc with me...)Yeah, without further details, we cannot help.

• Spyware
  • Virus
  • Malware
  • Hijackers

These could have happed while you were away. Did you have have any protection? If not then, you may have to format.........
yeah right ! Like a Spyware is gonna prevent the boot and P.O.S.T processes :p

boot trouble ?

dude! u didnt mention if u cud hear a beep sound from sys spk ... if it continually beeps, fault with da RAM ....
long beep followed by shorter ones, means Video Card is loose

Try your luck man ...and tighten each component like RAM, AGP etc in the MoBo and it may work all of a sudden ... has happened many times you know....

well for one on post you haven't even gotten to the windows GUI or even started booting to the hdd yet so you don't have to worry about malware spyware or a virus.. the main thing to look for is when you turn the system on does the system display an image and if so when does it stop displaying it if it is after post then you need to run diags on the hdd or try another hdd in the system with a windows partition then check cables and damage while doing that. if you turn the system on and there is no image at all you are looking at quite a few things that could be wrong..

kapeed1986 said:
yeah right ! Like a Spyware is gonna prevent the boot and P.O.S.T processes :p
It happend to me. I had spyware so bad, that I have a Spyware Infection notice on my desktop. After I cleaned it out, I restarted, everytime after login, my cpu restarted. So I formated.

Did you ask your parents what they did while you were away?

HEY, this is exactly what i have been trying to figure out on my daughter's custom made computer.....was running virus for first time and it rebooted on it's own, then after rebooting, reran virus and no worms or trojans showed up...then rebooted again and it won't even display anything on the screen at all.....could it be the power supply? I can access the drive as a slave in another computer.....did manage to retreive her music files after finding the instructions on how to change the password on another thread here.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back