Single USB-C port? No problem. InfiniteUSB-C is a viable solution to the MacBook's limitation

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s decision to include just a single port on its new 12-inch MacBook provoked the ire of many, and perhaps rightfully so. Adapters are the obvious answer for devices lacking a USB Type-C interface but what if you have multiple devices that need to be connected at once?

A product currently being funded on Kickstarter appears to be a viable solution to the MacBook’s port limitation conundrum. It’s called the InfiniteUSB-C and true to its name, this simple but ingenious adapter allows users to connect an unlimited number of devices through the single port.

kickstarter macbook usb usb type c usb ports

InfiniteUSB launched its Kickstarter campaign nearly a month ago by offering MicroUSB, Lightning and Female USB variants that use the traditional type A USB header. The team only recently added the InfiniteUSB-C adapter to the mix.

InfiniteUSB works the same regardless of interface. It’s a small adapter that plugs into the port on your notebook. There’s a female connector on the opposite end that allows you to daisy chain additional devices / adapters and a flexible cable to connect another device. Each time an InfiniteUSB adapter is added, it creates a new USB port on the computer.

kickstarter macbook usb usb type c usb ports

The campaign has already raised more than $171,000 (far more than its initial $10,000 goal) with five days remaining. A pledge of $14 will secure you a standard connector version while $18 will be needed for the Type-C model. Adapters are expected to ship in June and July, respectively.

kickstarter macbook usb adapter usb type c usb ports infiniteusb infiniteusb-c 12-inch macbook

Permalink to story.

I'll bet Apple is kicking themselves right now for now making this little device themselves.

I feel bad for Apple users though... having to spend extra money to get what should be basic functionality.

I'll bet Apple is kicking themselves right now for now making this little device themselves.

I feel bad for Apple users though... having to spend extra money to get what should be basic functionality.
Oh Apple has adapters.... but depending if you need display expansion, they are up to 4x the price and probably do not offer daisy chaining as easily as that cable does.

I've considered backing that kickstarter, but I have not yet. Good to know I have 5 days left to make a decision.

Apple should start cutting keys of the keyboard as well, who needs "asdf" for example, just sell a little addon adapter for the crazies that want that extra functionality.

Wouldn't a nice usb hub be a better option that these daisy chain cables everywhere?
Most people connect: keyboard and mouse, external drives/memory sticks and probably a printer.
Seems kinda clunky to have to use a separate adapter for each device when one hub does it all.

Lastly the cables coming towards the front of the laptop also seems awkward, but I guess they are bidirectional right?

By the time it is released to the market, Apple will have a new MacBook with another proprietary port. Back to square one, 'cause they just love doing it...

Wow. If you don't want a wirelessly connected 12-inch laptop, this one is not for you (and stop pretending that your intellect and sensibilities have somehow been greatly offended), go with another model, get a chromebook or a windows machine, or a macbook pro, or a ubuntu machine, or.........a desktop computer!

This machine connects wirelessly (the future), not through wires (the past), but still allows you to daisy-chain USB-c devices together. I used an iPad (which is completely wireless) as my sole computer for over a year, and was quite satisfied. I now run a macbook pro (with no external devices), so what is the difference of this machine to the way I actually use a portable computer?

Most people don't need to connect much. Ever hear of connecting external drives to the wireless router for sharing (NAS?)? How about the cloud? Wireless keyboard and wireless trackpads, and wireless mice? Sometimes a bigger monitor is nice, but this one has a retina display which is better than all but high end external monitors. Maybe you are upset that it doesn't come with a floppy-drive and serial ports?

So if this is not for you, fine don't buy it.

Why would Apple be kicking themselves? They're just doing what they do best, flummoxing and overcharging.

Reminded me of a software giant who take away a start button and put it back on the next next version, ...what a wonderful world~lol

Or don't buy Apple products, while they're high quality components, they lack functionality and love changing standards. Better to buy a high end competitor. Of course all your uneducated group of friends using Apple products won't think you're "cool." But at least you'll have the better product.

Let me get this right, this InfiniteUSB-C can be daisy chained, but to what extend? How much power can ONE port really provide before you say, I don't know, fry it. Then you have to bring your Crapple Laptop back to the store and they tell you, "You voided your warranty by not using Official Apple products and now we have to charge you $500 to replace the connector" So in my opinion Apple probably wants you to buy this thing and burn out your SINGLE USB port, is that something or what.

This machine connects wirelessly (the future), not through wires (the past)... I used an iPad (which is completely wireless) as my sole computer for over a year, and was quite satisfied. I now run a macbook pro (with no external devices), so what is the difference of this machine to the way I actually use a portable computer?

Well there's your problem, you simply don't know what your talking about, you used a freaking iPad for over a year, why would you understand the need of anyone other than yourself. People who use their computers for more than the basic of basic task, people who appreciate things like connectivity and expandability.

Most people don't need to connect much. Ever hear of connecting external drives to the wireless router for sharing (NAS?)? How about the cloud?

Tell this to someone who transfers hundreds of GB at a time, you know like content and multimedia developers, something Apple products use to be known for. But again clearly you have no idea what I'm talking about if your perfectly happy using an iPad for over a year as your sole computer device. The cloud just doesn't cater to everyone, it's nice and it does have it's perks but it's not ideal for large files, period. Lastly keep in mind where your posting, MOST people hear use their computers as more than whatever it is you where doing with just an iPad for over a year... Pron?

Reminded me of a software giant who take away a start button and put it back on the next next version, ...what a wonderful world~lol
At least MS didn't charge for 8.1 and won't charge for the 10 upgrade, good luck trying to get one of these Macs with more ports for free in the future P

Back