Skype’s social media accounts hacked by Syrian Electronic Army

Shawn Knight

Staff member

skype twitter facebook syrian electronic army hacking

The Syrian Electronic Army isn’t wasting any time in the New Year. On Wednesday, the group managed to hack into the Facebook account, Twitter account and blog of Skype to spread their anti-spying propaganda on the web.

Yesterday afternoon, Skype’s Twitter account published a tweet suggesting people shouldn’t use Microsoft e-mail programs because they monitor accounts and sell data to governments. A very similar message was also retweeted from the SEA’s Twitter account.

The same message also briefly appeared on Skype’s Facebook page although it was short-lived. Two additional posts cropped up on the company’s official blog as well. One was titled “Hacked by Syrian Electronic Army.. Stop Spying!” while the other was similar to the messages that appeared on Twitter.

Later in the day, Skype reached out to news publications with a statement on the matter. It said they recently became aware of a targeted cyber attack that led to access to their social media properties but the credentials were quickly reset. What’s more, no user information was compromised in the breach.

Skype was likely targeted following a July report that suggested the Microsoft-owned company allowed the NSA to intercept communications from those using the program.

The Syrian Electronic Army, a group loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, typically spews pro-government propaganda in their attacks. Last year, the group was responsible for hacking the websites or Twitter accounts of the Washington Post, Tango, the Associated Press, CBS, E! Online, The Financial Times and The Onion, just to name a few.

Permalink to story.

So they told Skype to stop spying and now expect them to listen because they got hacked.

What bothers me the most with these articles is the "got hacked" part of the headlines always. Totally making it sound like these guys just mashed their keyboards for a while and got access to the Fb/twitter/whatever accounts.

Is that really the truth, should that kind of fear mongering be allowed?
I get people coming into the shop all the time going on about "should we buy a firewall program so hackers wont steal our bank password". I blame the media for reporting about these things in such a way that it sounds like hackers can just log into anything anywhere at any time by just mashing enough keys.

The way I have it the only real way to get into accounts like these (barring large database dumps from actual hackers) is to "befriend" the person and get background info related to security questions like "whats your pets name?" and to reset their password on them. Or just put "passw0rd" in and hope they chose something stupid like that.

Back