SM Bus Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I've got a problem with my SM Bus Controller and have been searching around the internet and old threads within the site and followed some of the things suggested i.e. reinstalling and updating motherboard drivers via website and CD, Chipset drivers but still when i check device manager and scan for hardware changes it comes up saying theres a problem showing the SM Bus Controller as an other device yellow question mark with the yellow cirle with a black exclamation mark.

First noticed after a problem with the computer. Computer was running hot so cleaned the dust out but took the heatsink off and had to replace and used thermal pads. PC would boot but freeze. Tried allsorts including clearing the CMOS but it still froze even in BIOS. Eventually got it back up and running by replacing the thermal pad with proper thermal insulation material. Computer started but was running like a mad cow so reinstalled the motherboard drivers and drivers for the chipset then noticed SM Bus Controller wouldnt resolve. Forgot about the problem as its not really causing any problems. Computer crashes if playing games but its not a regular thing and its mainly sound files that are causing BSODs. Don't know if this is caused by the SM Bus problem but Windows updated the AC'97 device tonight while trying to solve SM Bus.

Seen on one thread that there should be a file in the inf folder and checked but nothing is there (with regards to the file) but they were using a different motherboard with an sis chipset.

North Bridge
SiS 746FX

South Bridge
SiS963L

Motherboard
ASRock K7S8X

Any help on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

If yuo have followed all those steps and the Sm bus driver still wont load then it is because it is defective. ANY component on the motherboard that is defective will cause probems. if it is still under warranty then contact the maker and get it replaced.

If its not causing any problems, then I would just leave it (unless its still under warranty) as there are parts on a motherboard that the average person doesnt use. Good luck anyways.

Regards,

Korrupt

Thanks for that. Couldn't work out what could be causing it and seeing that nothing else is left to try i'll leave it as its not causing any major problems.

Thanks again for getting back so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back