SolidRun unveils mini PCs that supports both Android and Linux

David Tom

solidrun pcs android linux raspberry pi cubox miniature pcs

Miniature PCs are apparently all the rage these days. With the success of comparable projects such as Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone, these 2-inch cube computers are another inexpensive alternative, starting at just $44.95 for the rudimentary CuBox-i1. Armed with a 1GHz single-core ARM processor, this device includes 512MB of DDR3 memory, a GC880 GPU, and an HDMI 1.4 output, among other features and components.

According to TechnoBuffalo, SolidRun, the company behind the product, is no stranger to the tiny PC industry. They previously released the original CuBox in 2011, but have admittedly done little since.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the revamped CuBox-I line is that it can install both Android and Linux, as well as Python, Perl, compilers, IDEs and media players. Not to mention the fact that by purchasing a microSD card with the system, you receive Google’s Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean pre-installed into the unit.

As for hardware specifications, the product’s capabilities are heavily dependent on the money that you shell out. There are four different machines in the SolidRun repertoire, with the flagship device (the CuBox-i4 Pro) retailing for $119.99. This model runs on a 1GHz quad-core processor, contains a GC2000 GPU, GbE LAN, a microSD slot, 2GB of DDR3 memory, an optical S/PDIF audio output, an eSATA 3Gbps port, built-in WiFi and Bluetooth.

In describing the project, CEO of SoildRun, Kossay Omary, explained, “Our team had to work very hard to pack in such a rich and high-end set of features and still keep the cost at levels that make this product a no brainer choice for everyday projects. The I.MX6 System-on-Chip series provides the perfect scalability for balancing power, performance and price.”

Be sure to check out SolidRun’s official webpage to place an order for any of the aforementioned PCs.

Permalink to story.

Hey techspot guys how about a roundup review on all the available mini-pc options for turning a living room TV into a media computer type deal?

There are so many options available and even more DIY solutions like this little guy that it's really hard to figure out what works and what doesn't.

That would be awesome if they could get this to run on a AA battery or similar to enhance the mobility factor.

I agree with lipe123, it would nice to have an article about these type of devices/computers and what they can realistically be used for (media streaming, web, audio, etc). Thanks

While I love my Raspberry Pi, the horrifically slow development of a good and stable Android build is pushing my interest away from it and towards some of these other fun little toys. I've been tinkering with "smart TV upgrade" methods, and my R-Pi just almost fit the bill... Lack of Netflix streaming capabilities pretty much kills using Linux systems like the Pi, in my house... At least with Android-based systems, I can leverage the existing Netflix apps.

Yes, but it's the expandability and being able to leverage Linux in addition to Android that makes it appealing I'd think.

I was eyeing I.MX6 processor because it has very broad support of connectivity...
I was particularly looking for (tablet-like) platform that supports CAN (for the ones that doesn't know what is it: Controller Area Network - network of choice for automotive industry);
it looks like only I.MX6 ticks all the tick boxes... :)

so I found this one: http://boundarydevices.com/products/nitrogen6x-board-imx6-arm-cortex-a9-sbc/
it is on the expensive side (~200$) but checkout the connectivity!
also supports not only android, but Debian/Ubuntu and Arch http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/freescale/nitrogen6x

damn nice board...

OK, fun little thing. But sometimes tiny is to tiny. Just like mobile phones, soon you will have to buy phone with anchor from a battleship to find where you left the phone. ;D

From the standpoint of an IT manager looking to migrate from physical to virtual desktops, these kinds of micro terminals are the perfect platform to look at as remote desktop access clients. Running any flavor of Ubuntu with Remmina installed, or employing one of several HTML5 based RDP gateways, these things can help my agency make the leap to virtual desktop infrastructure... much less administrative overhead. Hopefully.

I am interested to give the Android variant a run as well. With enough staff using the Google Apps platform, Windows becomes a much less critical piece of the IT puzzle.

Back