Sony reveals the PlayStation 5 all-new 'DualSense' controller

Polycount

Staff
Highly anticipated: Sony and Microsoft have both laid their cards on the table regarding their upcoming next-generation gaming consoles. Though Microsoft was the first to do so, both companies have revealed the bulk of their devices' hardware spec details, while elaborating on how they'll handle features like backward compatibility. Now, Sony is taking the next logical step forward by revealing the design of the PlayStation 5's controller.

Unlike previous PlayStation controllers, the PlayStation 5's core input device won't have the traditional DualShock moniker. Instead, Sony is calling it the "DualSense," to better reflect its new capabilities. Much like the DualShock 4 represented a great leap forward for PlayStation's controllers -- thanks to its built-in touchpad and useful "Share" button -- the DualSense promises a similar degree of improvement with several core feature additions.

The first of these additions, and arguably the most important, are the new haptic feedback elements built-in to the wireless DualSense. Moving beyond mere generalized vibration, the DualSense will do its best to mimic a "variety" of sensations. Examples include the "slow grittiness" of driving a car through thick mud, or the powerful feeling of weight that comes with drawing the string on a longbow.

Sony didn't offer many specific details regarding how this technology works, but it did say that its engineers have incorporated several "adaptive triggers" and "actuators" to create a more immersive playing experience. These improvements, while supposedly substantial, have been added in such a way that they won't significantly increase the weight of the controller as a whole.

The second core feature worth discussing is the DualSense's all-new built-in microphone array. Though Sony itself admits this functionality isn't a replacement for a dedicated headset (those will always be superior for voice quality), it could be handy in a pinch.

Finally, Sony is converting its famous Share button into the new "Create" button. The company did not elaborate on what the difference between the two buttons is, but more details should surface closer to the PlayStation 5's official launch day.

Design-wise, the DualSense has seen some notable changes. The two handles are less rectangular in shape, and have a slight curve along the outer edge. The touchpad is also no longer rectangular, and appears to be a bit bigger overall, with two small blue lightbars on either side. Moving toward the top of the controller, we see extended L1 and R1 buttons, as well as -- once again -- a more curvy aesthetic.

Overall, the DualSense seems to have taken some inspiration from other input devices, like the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and the Xbox Elite Controller. That's not to say they're identical -- the DualSense is still a distinctly PlayStation product -- but it's certainly more similar to its competitors than previous-gen DualShock gadgets have been.

We look forward to learning more about the DualSense's featureset in the coming months, but for now, we're impressed by what Sony has come up with. If you have any thoughts on its design, drop us a line in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

Looks like they got rid of the light bar, thank goodness, it just drained the battery unnecessarily and ruined the experience in a completely dark room. I can't believe they never added the option to turn it off.

Looks like they got rid of the light bar, thank goodness, it just drained the battery unnecessarily and ruined the experience in a completely dark room. I can't believe they never added the option to turn it off.
It's around the touch pad now instead, perfect for illuminating your face rather than the ground..

It's chunky and ugly. White buttons on white background... Light facing towards your face...

I like the new features though. Let's hope it feels great in use so we can focus more on its inner beauty. :)

While I don't like the design that much, I'm confident that sony engineers did the kind of job they have us used to. As long as is comfortable, ergonomic, durable with a bunch of cool unseen features, I could live with its design.

I like the style. Though why remove the button colours?

And it does sorta aesthetically feel like an Xbox controller...

Also, I hope they go the route of what Xbox is doing and allow PS4 controllers to work (even if they don't have the haptics).

Last edited:
This looks so ugly and uncomfortable, why cant they just copy Xbox One controler?

Lol Xbone spoted, I will enjoy playing Bloodborne 2 on that controller and quite frankly I always hated the Xbox controller and it's one of the reasons I don't own one.

Many people find the PS controller more comfortable than the Xbox one, including me. It depends on the size of your hands and how you play.

I personally don't like the Xbox controller and one key change they could do is to flatten the action buttons and separate the D-Pad buttons.

I would like it if there was all black or all white (I guess there is). Design is all right but it all comes down to comfort.

Looks thicc. The two-tone color scheme is a bit strange to me, although it'll be interesting if they bring over this concept to the console itself.

They usually release multiple colours- I assume that you will have the option of getting a black one later - if not at launch

Nah, it's still there. Just moved it to the top.

Many people find the PS controller more comfortable than the Xbox one, including me. It depends on the size of your hands and how you play.
The only people who prefer the PS controller to the Xbox controllers are people who a) have only ever used the PS controller and so don't know what they're missing and/or b) people with small hands (outliers).

There's a reason that every other high-end controller, from the Switch Pro to the Astro C40, all use a form factor closer to the Xbox One controller: it's ergonomically more comfortable for a wider segment of the population.

Back