Sony says the PlayStation 5 won't launch within the next 12 months

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: With Sony recently revealing details about its next-gen PlayStation 5 console, one might have expected that the machine will be here sooner rather than later. But anyone who recently purchased a PS4 doesn’t have to worry: its successor won’t arrive for at least another 12 months.

Last week saw Sony release a slew of information regarding the PS5, which might not go by that name. Lead system architect Mark Cerny confirmed that the heart of the console would be an 8-core, third-gen Ryzen CPU based on AMD’s 7nm Zen 2 architecture. It will also boast custom Radeon Navi graphics and support ray tracing and resolutions up to 8K.

One thing Cerny didn’t mention was the console’s potential launch date, but during the Japanese company’s quarterly financial results, Sony said the PS5 wouldn’t be released within the next 12 months.

Most people believe we will see the PlayStation 5 next year, but we now know it won’t be before April. In all likelihood, the machine will release in November, the same month that the PlayStation 4 (2013) and PlayStation 4 Pro (2016) launched.

With the PS5 on the horizon, sales of its predecessor have been slowing down. 17.8 million of the consoles were sold in the last year, down from the 19 million sold in 2017. Profits from the gaming business are expected to decline almost 10 percent in the year ending March 2020, partly due to a dearth of major PS4 games and Sony’s absence from E3.

Despite the decline, lifetime sales of the PS4 are now just 3.2 million units away from the 100 million milestone, which it’s expected to pass in 2020. Sony said much of the profit from console sales over the last year would be used in the development of the PlayStation 5.

No word on whether we’ll see the Xbox One successor around the same time as the PS5 launch, but analysts do believe Microsoft’s flagship machine will be more powerful than Sony’s.

Permalink to story.

..Gives them more time for the cost of PS5's proposed SSD storage to fall. Could mean the difference between costs allowing for a 1TB capacity instead of only 500GB.

..even then, 1TB really is the bare minimum it will need, given games running up to 100GB in size these days.

...unless of course they're going to put some bespoke custom RAM cache storage in it.

..even then, 1TB really is the bare minimum it will need, given games running up to 100GB in size these days.
They also plan to use UHD disks as well which are 128GB. If they use these for Games, well 500GB will barely fit 4 Game installs on...

Well that basically makes it an easy choice for me to pick up a new GPU before then. Sometimes I'll wait for new consoles before upgrading my gaming PC. Just to make sure for the next few years it suits the uprated game engines that will run on the next console generation.

However if it is still 18 months away then I'll probably have built a brand new PC by then and shove in a 7nm Nvidia card when they arrive, no doubt long before the end of 2020! There is no way PS5 will be anything like as fast as the cards after current Nvidia Turing.

Not only that Zen 2 will have already been refreshed by the time PS5 arrives it seems! Expect a 7nm+ reshuffle long before the end of 2020 as well.

Last edited:
I am almost 1000000% sure it was stated late 2020/ 2021 was the target for new consoles I mean it could technically launch earlier thanks to TSMC ramping up 7nm on fast production, and it would be indicative of AMD releasing Zen2 this summer and Navi late 2019 to be able to obtain pcie 4.0 for the SSD, historically if I remember don't they lean on releasing consoles in early fall for sales during the holidays.

Well that basically makes it an easy choice for me to pick up a new GPU before then. Sometimes I'll wait for new consoles before upgrading my gaming PC. Just to make sure for the next few years it suits the uprated game engines that will run on the next console generation.

However if it is still 18 months away then I'll probably have built a brand new PC by then and shove in a 7nm Nvidia card when they arrive, no doubt long before the end of 2020! There is no way PS5 will be anything like as fast as the cards after current Nvidia Turing.

Not only that Zen 2 will have already been refreshed by the time PS5 arrives it seems! Expect a 7nm+ reshuffle long before the end of 2020 as well.

Same here before I buy anything new I would want to buy this summer Zen2 after seeing how it performs for PCIe 4.0, DDR4 will still probably be defacto RAM , Intel 10nm is a choice but from recent news it looks like we won't see it until 2021/2022 at the earliest, as for GPUs AMD GPU side I'm really not confident enough to buy it unless they create a beast but historically speaking it may be a let down, NVidia on the other hand scaled down to 7nm on a proven arch....that is rather tasty, I agree with 2020 but they could shock us late 2019 with an announcement if they can lower the price point a little bit dropping the 2080ti to the 1k mark or lower with the 2080 at the $700 mark adding minimum 25% performance I think it would be a major hit.

If thats right 1 raw petabyte would only last 5 min with raw 8k movie. so to get on-6 ourh with raw movie you must get enormous SSD that would cost 1 million to produce.
if every game should be renderd in 8k that would be like a scool bus with kids grovnups driving by with 123 8k cams on and everyone should be watcing in full 8k quality. that would be heavy even minimasing file si zises. to get buffering on 1 5 mb adsl line download with 8k textures ingame it would take them 14 days to get 100 gb and up to 1 tb in 4 months to get playing in 1 year later. the traffic on future ps5 xbox (d) would take a fiber optical line some ohurs but given adsl even (56 modems) 7 years to 14)and (o.c costs) it would take months even gettin down 100mb line. so you must buy ing a pre rendered ps5 disk that can be played with all new games. all textures would be on ps5. all textures from ps1-ps5 would be faster acess for those whom not have 10gb line and so on.

Last edited:
8K is pointless right now. 2160p (4K), 1440p, or even 1080p with real-time Ray Tracing gameplay would still look astounding. Including VR in those resolutions.

Back