Sony says the PSVR 2 is years away

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Not long after Sony confirmed development of the PS5 last year, rumors started circulating about what such a powerful console would mean for the company's next VR headset—presumably called the PSVR 2. Sadly, it's going to be quite a long time before we see the next-generation virtual reality product.

In an interview with the Washington Post, Sony CEO Jim Ryan said the company isn't giving up on VR. "I think we're more than a few minutes from the future of VR. PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment."

However, anyone hoping to use a PSVR 2 next year is in for a disappointment. Ryan suggests we won't see one until 2022 at the earliest. "Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that. And we're very pleased with all the experience that we've gained with PlayStation VR, and we look forward to seeing where that takes us in the future."

Until its successor arrives, you can still experience VR on the PS5 using the PSVR alongside a special camera adapter that Sony is shipping free to current owners of its headset. You can request one from this website.

Last year, an alleged leak claimed the PSVR 2 would be wireless, feature a 2560 x 1440 resolution, 120Hz refresh rate, 220-degree field of view, and work for five hours before needing a recharge. That leak might not have been real, but some of the specs, including the wireless element and eye-tracking abilities, could make it into the next-gen headset—whenever it arrives.

Permalink to story.

"...will it come at some stage? We believe that."

That is not a commitment, that is not a affirmation that something is going to happen, that does not even say "we have a plan" that is being executed.

PSVR2 will not happen. There is NO PLAN. And NOTHING happens in development without a plan. You can't "believe" a product into existence.

Current-gen PSVR will fall more, and more by the wayside in the development community as the delta between the power of non-PSVR headsets leaves PSVR more and more in the dust (see Beat Saber multi-player). Making porting to the platform more and more expensive where it will even be possible.

Even if Sony was saying "2022", we all know that means "2023" which is about three generations (at bare minimum) of VR hardware revs, and by that time PSVR will be so far in the past Devs will not be coding for it.

PSVR is dead.

I say this with no glee, I want more VR wherever it comes from (I love it), but for those of you with PSVR who want to continue to enjoy VR you best start building a gaming PC, or sell your soul to Facebook because Sony just left you in the dirt.

What a shame. I like PSVR and an updated version for the PS5 would have been one reason for me to get one.

That is not a commitment, that is not a affirmation that something is going to happen, that does not even say "we have a plan" that is being executed.

PSVR2 will not happen. There is NO PLAN. And NOTHING happens in development without a plan. You can't "believe" a product into existence.

Current-gen PSVR will fall more, and more by the wayside in the development community as the delta between the power of non-PSVR headsets leaves PSVR more and more in the dust (see Beat Saber multi-player). Making porting to the platform more and more expensive where it will even be possible.

Even if Sony was saying "2022", we all know that means "2023" which is about three generations (at bare minimum) of VR hardware revs, and by that time PSVR will be so far in the past Devs will not be coding for it.

PSVR is dead.

I say this with no glee, I want more VR wherever it comes from (I love it), but for those of you with PSVR who want to continue to enjoy VR you best start building a gaming PC, or sell your soul to Facebook because Sony just left you in the dirt.

You're reading way too much into this excerpt of an interview.

Today I took the time to get out my PSVR from that cable mess, entered my SN, tried to select my country and... guess what, that adaptor is limited to the US, Canada and Mexico. Gee, thanks a lot, Sony.

PSVR is dead.

Nope..There is a plan.. You'd be working on the Atari console to say something like that..... I see it like the release window as with PSVR. It wasn't on release , but was announced 2 years later Dec 2015... Released the following year...I think Sony stick to scheduling using past gen dates....
And simply, I think your downplaying what sony does best. Consoles , and the only one with VR.
Sony, as with the PS5, are keeping things close to their chest... We just maybe surprised at whats to come....
Still , you may disagree, so ill agree to disagree.

" You'd be working on the Atari console "

Dude, I still have a functioning Atari console that I bought in 1983. ;-) (Atari 400).

I've been in/around this industry for a long time, and what Sony said tells me they have no plans. Close to the vest or otherwise.

What would be interesting is to see Microsoft slap one of their Mixed-Reality headsets on the Series X and blind-side Sony. Microsoft already has the hardware and software.

I'd pay admission to see that...

" You'd be working on the Atari console "

Dude, I still have a functioning Atari console that I bought in 1983. ;-) (Atari 400).

I've been in/around this industry for a long time, and what Sony said tells me they have no plans. Close to the vest or otherwise.

What would be interesting is to see Microsoft slap one of their Mixed-Reality headsets on the Series X and blind-side Sony. Microsoft already has the hardware and software.

I'd pay admission to see that...
Apologies.. I should of been more Clear... The NEW Atari console.. From what I'm aware its just the Brand purchase.. The name and Logo....

And Yep , had a 2600 also , Still have my MEGA 2, I upgraded It with an extra to , so its a 4! Cubase , Midex , Avalon sample editor.. Oh yeh.. ahh, the nostalgia.
And as have I been gaming since before Space Invaders.. A time where the Pinnies ruled!

As for what I said, I still think Sony is working on a calendar that they may feel works for them....

As for MS.. They possibly could of released VR last ten, at least the X waould of been capable, but this splitting of SKU's and Gamepass... not sure if it would be the same approach... Sony created their own niche, studios to make games specifically for the PSVR...I dont see MS doing this, not in the foreseeable future, after all , the one is still supported...But , again , as you say , probably when the anchor has been cut, who knows.

To Add... Having just heard PSVR will work on PS5 , but only PS4 Titles, stating no VR titles for PS5 can use PSVR (Ver 1) , it falls into line with my theory..... PS4 will be supported for another few years , so any VR titles will be made for PS4, and with PSVR V2 on release , theyll have launch Titles utilising the new feature set..
Most likely Wireless and rumoured to have ey tracking tech.. Also, I wouldn't be surprised new move controllers with adaptive and Haptics derived from the dual sense... Id even go so far as to say some wearable tech.....

If there are more quality PSVR releases like Astrobot, Blood and truth ect for PS4, It'll will reinforce their commitment... But no like other "Gimmicks" so to speak, whether people say "Its not there yet".. "VR Sux" "yeh who'd wear a headset"" ect.. Like or not, VR, Its here to stay. It will evolve... With tech innovations happening in leaps and bounds , whether a Headset or something that projects an image straight not your eyes, the concept, the idea wont disappear.,.. And thats whee you have to give sony props.. They really do innovate and move the industry forward , even the PSVR is a technical marvel at the time for price and quality...
The physical design made Oculous and vive uncomfortable in comparison, and as a Company that is involved in industry respected optics, Camera and Displays, Take all that , and though Lower res, it didn't use pentile displays, but OLED , Pixels 1 to 1.. And though Lower res, The Screen door effect was minimal compared to the High end , Also no Fresnel lenses thus not having the Ghost effect.. And OLED from 2015, 120hz... Its basically the next revision of their HMZ from 2011
Sony invested a lot, and whether or not this type of form factor remains, VR is not going anywhere... Anyone saying its a gimmick are the Balmer's of this world Laughing about the first iPhone release.
Just my thoughts.,

Back