Sony's $100 PlayStation Classic will launch this December

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: The retro revival lives on. Another classic console reimagined as a miniature machine pre-loaded with beloved games is on the way. This time, the company behind it is Sony, and the device is the PlayStation Classic.

After rival Nintendo found huge success with the NES Classic Mini and the SNES Classic Mini, Sony has announced it is also jumping on the mini retro console bandwagon. The Japanese gaming giant has announced the PlayStation Classic, which will feature 20 pre-loaded games including some of the original’s top titles: Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms.

The device will arrive on December 3—24 years after the launch of the original—and cost $99.99 (or €99.99/£89.99). It comes with two original PS1 controllers for local multiplayer with compatible titles and an HDMI cable. As with the SNES Classic, an included USB cable is used for power, rather than bundling it with an AC adaptor.

Compared to the PS1, the PlayStation Classic is 45 percent smaller. Some nice touches of the new machine include using the Reset button to “suspend” games, while the Open button changes titles.

In addition to Nintendo’s mini consoles, a Commodore 64 Mini, which has been available in Europe for a few months, launches in the US on October 9. There’s also the Sega Mega Drive (Genesis, in the US) Mini, but that’s been delayed until next year.

PlayStation fans will no doubt be excited at the prospect of the PlayStation Classic, which is available for pre-order at select retailers across the US and Canada.

Permalink to story.

'Member when nostalgia made more money than innovation? I 'member.
south-park-s20e01-member-berries_16x9.jpg

Too much for a PS1 imo. Then again I'm not a PS fan.

Still waiting for that N64 though for some Goldeneye rom fun :D

Might pick up the PS2 mini when it enviably launches.

Yep. Innovation is dead.

Companies found easy way to make money.

No thanks to equally buyers who go goo-goo-ga-ga and oooh--aaaah for anything retro or remakes or HD remakes and so on.

I grew up with all these, but I don't see the need to impulse-buying all these money-milking items. (Even though PlayStation 1 brought so many good memories for me.)

Been using ePSXe for so many years already and there's no need to waste $99 for this product.

Gamers should start demanding games that are original, innovative and groundbreaking. Splashing money on anything these corporates throw at 'ya just makes it worse.

Next up, Sony will join Nintendo in taking down ROM sites.

....what? they already are? I must of missed that article! XD (totally BS. I would assume Sony is already on it and I just havent read about it! lol)

If it comes with Crash Bandicot, I'm going to get one for my mom, she LOVED that game. Release the game list already come on!!!

PS: I'm going to get one as well, read FFVII, need to get it.

I'll just go dig out my PS1 from the garage instead :)

The garage? Mine was plugged in to my 65" 4K just a couple of weeks ago for some old school Crash Bandicoot.

Best part of the OG Playstation, you can easily put a mod chip in there and copy any game or burn any ISO and play it on the actual console, no need for emulation, just pick one up for cheap at a garage sale or ebay, slap a mod chip on there and play it the way it was meant to be played... Damn you nvidia and your slogan.

Looks cool but........I still use my original PlayStation and also the PS One which may be the same size as this new classic version, minus the disc drive. I was hoping for backward compatibility as I know that most feel the same. I think that it would have been a game changer if they had extra levels or worlds created for some of the original games and hardware and then re-release the PS One. That would be thinking outside the box and a very cool retro concept instead of just going along with the crowd. What happened to actual creativity with our gaming industry?

really? you do realise this is a classic edition console?
Of course, did you read my post. Sony can and should do better. This offering is like Apple, always creating and offering something new and cutting edge that's already been out there for the last two years......

Of course, did you read my post. Sony can and should do better. This offering is like Apple, always creating and offering something new and cutting edge that's already been out there for the last two years......
sorry didn't see that, I agree

I think I will stick to my playstation tv, I have a huge library of PSone games to pick from plus I can play psp and via titles as well.

The garage? Mine was plugged in to my 65" 4K just a couple of weeks ago for some old school Crash Bandicoot.

Best part of the OG Playstation, you can easily put a mod chip in there and copy any game or burn any ISO and play it on the actual console, no need for emulation, just pick one up for cheap at a garage sale or ebay, slap a mod chip on there and play it the way it was meant to be played... Damn you nvidia and your slogan.
Good old crash bandicoot. Even bought the kart racing game and a multi-tap for that on PS2 :)

Still cheaper to use a Raspberry Pi and for under $100 play all the games every created for each console LOL. RetroPi FTW!

Although yes, you can buy epsxe and a bluetooth controller with bracket for your android phone and come up with cheaper and arguably better solution.

I've recently finished the ff9 on android. the official android game uses more battery than running a epsxe simulation. so there's more reason to get the epsxe.

what I'd like to see is for someone to "mod" this and add a display at the back. just like the old mini ps-one.

So it's smaller it has HDMI port and has 20 games on the ROM. Does the DISC work? I don't have mine I left it in my last move out. I there is no Time Crisis or Gran Turismo included. I also lost about $600 worth of games too. I don't know if I would pay $100 for this now. Technology has advanced so much today. Consoles seem a waste of money when you can buy a laptop and 75 inch UHDTV, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse or got bluetooth route instead and have the internet, That's how I play all these online games today. I still have my old Colecovision and it's modules for it and the Adam Family Computer System.

Back