Sony's Walkman, the first truly affordable portable music player, turns 40

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Sony built on the success of the Walkman with the Discman, a portable CD player that was equally as popular with the era’s youth and helped popularize compact discs as an audio format. The devices would pave the way for portable MP3 players and yes, even Apple’s iPod.

Apple is often credited with revolutionizing the portable music industry and for a certain demographic, that was indeed the case. The iPod helped connect a whole new generation of young people to music but it was far from the first device to make music truly portable.

Flip back a few more pages in the tech annals and you’ll come across the Sony Walkman, a series of portable media players that debuted on July 1, 1979 (40 years ago yesterday) with the launch of a compact cassette tape edition.

The Walkman – and all of the knock-offs it would inspire – allowed consumers to affordably take curated collections of music with them on the go for the first time. Best yet, you could listen anywhere you wanted (so long as you had charged batteries, of course). As you can imagine, that was truly transformative and revolutionized personal music for millions.

Try as it might, however, Sony was never able to bottle that original magic in the digital era. The company currently offers a high-resolution digital Walkman although at more than $3,000, it is never going to find mainstream success – especially considering smartphones already double as portable audio players.

Masthead credit: original Sony Walkman by Ned Snowman

Permalink to story.

I absolutely loved their MiniDisc line - they looked and sounded magnificent. Although, it didn't stand against mp3 format.

I remember recording Dark Side of the Moon off LP to a SONY betacam (video tape), because it had more fidelity than anything at the time.

My generation never really adopted MP3's (even though I had thousands of them), because the sound quality just sucked ballz. The younger crowd didn't care about fidelity, only about how cheaply (free?) they could listen. Everything is compressed and people never get to hear real music anymore.

"Compressed fidelity" is an oxymoron. I should start doing Reaction Videos, to the first time Millennials actually get to listen to high-fidelity sound system with non-compressed music (ie: analog). Listen to their own music in open space and not through headphones.

My nephew said he didn't know music could be like this....

"Compressed fidelity" is an oxymoron. I should start doing Reaction Videos, to the first time Millennials actually get to listen to high-fidelity sound system with non-compressed music (ie: analog). Listen to their own music in open space and not through headphones.

My nephew said he didn't know music could be like this....

You suggest for Millennials to listen to music on tape and vinyl?
I mean today there are not so many records that are absolutely digital-free. Although, they can be high-fidelity.

Analog always give a better sound. Vinyl is making a comeback for a reason and once you start to listen, nothing compares.

Still got mine boxed up in the closet ...... a true classic that started it all .....

Back