Sound is disabled

Acer travelmate 530
Model # BY27
Operating system Windows XP wth servicepack 3

Hi,

After being reinstalled windows xp the sound of my laptop has been disabled. The icon of sound in the right bottom of the screen has been gone. And now I got different sound errors, sometimes when I go to:- 1. start/ all programs/accessries/entertainment/ volume control and then click I got the error that "there is no active mixer device avaiable. 2. On control panel when I click on sound and audio devices I found all the options related to sound are being disabled. 3. I also checked out the harware section on MY Comuter, the sounds drivers are there but something goes wrong with respect to that.
I have already downloaded audio, vga, and someother drivers from ( us.acer.com/ac/en/us/content/drivers) and installed them but the problem is still there that is the sound is disabled.
I would really appreciate on this forum if I can get the solution from someone with respect to that sound problem I am facing.
I can't want to open my laptop's harware because I cant do that.

BinNyen

I also recommend upgrading to Win 7 / 8 but I assume your trying to play sound from your laptop speakers, have you tried connecting headphones or any other audio device to see if they work? Maybe it's your speakers (assuming that's what your using)

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Click the Upload a File button to upload and attach the file to your next post

Sir,

Thanks for looking into that problem. As you said I went through the process regarding List any problem devices. I found out nothing in that list as it was empty.

Regarding your other instruction about generating the direct x report on my system, I found out some useful information which I never tried before.
I hope this information will make you aware where the problem is.
Thanks

BinNyen

Attached you find my direct x report which I missed in earlier post.

Bin Nyen

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    51 KB · Views: 4
I'm sorry to say it looks like bad news :( Windows is not detecting a sound card on your computer.

fyi: Windows doesn't need drivers to DETECT Plug and Play hardware (like the internal sound card). It just needs the driver before it can USE the sound card for audio.

None of the device in the System Devices section of your DxDiag report is the internal sound card.

On Desktops, one can disable the sound card in BIOS. That's usually not the case for laptops but it's worth taking a look at your BIOS options if sound/audio is an option and enabled.

Otherwise, there are many inexpensive USB sound cards available.

I checked the bios of my laptop as you said. I didn't find the sound related option there.
But I would like to say it to you before re- installing the XP, the sound was on in my laptop when I purchased. The volume was slow but it definetly came out when I went through the sound related activity. So what was that? was it laptops builtin sound device which made the volume on at that time?
So right now it seems to me it is useless to go to install any more audio card from net with respect to my sound problem?

BinNyen

The problem, as I see it, is the sound card hardware on your laptop has failed. A reinstall of any version of Windows won't make a difference. If you want sound on your laptop you'd need a new sound card. The easiest and cheapest is a USB device

/* EDIT */
and, yes,the sound was originally coming from the internal sound card. But that sound card is broken

Back