Spain investigating Apple and Amazon over anti-competitive practices

Joe White

In context: Another month, another anti-competitive investigation into Big Tech. This time, both Apple and Amazon are under the microscope in Spain, where the country's competition watchdog is looking into both companies regarding their online sale of consumer electronics.

Spain's Comisión Nacional de los Mercados y la Competencia – or CNMC – is said to be investigating both Apple and Amazon over the online sale of consumer electronics, although the details so far are sketchy. In a statement, the CNMC said that it had opened proceedings over possible unlawful conduct, and that based on its findings, there could be implications for Amazon's website and the sale of Apple products in Spain.

The CNMC says that restrictions "would affect the retail sale of Apple products by third parties and the advertising of competing Apple products, leading to a reduced competition in the Internet retail market for electronic products."

With a total investigation period of up to 18 months, it could be some time until we hear what the CNMC's findings are – and whether or not they deal a blow for either tech giant.

Over the pond, U.S. lawmakers are also taking on the likes of Apple, Google, Amazon, and Facebook in a series of antitrust bills, which could reshape the tech industry as we know it.

Permalink to story.

I will Google Translate from the original source (I'm Spanish but I think the automatic translation is very decent):

"The CNMC has had access to certain information from which it can be deduced the existence of rational indications of the commission by Amazon and Apple of an infringement of articles 1 of Law 15/2007, of July 3, on the Defense of Competition (LDC) and 101 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU).

Specifically, the possible illicit conduct would consist of an agreement between both groups that would include possible restrictions on the Amazon website in Spain (https://www.amazon.es/) in relation to:

(I) The retail sale of Apple products by third parties;
(ii) Certain advertising of competing Apple products and certain campaigns directed at Apple customers by Amazon;
(iii) Other commercial restrictions."

=> So it seems some kind of conspiracy in which Apple paid Amazon to restrict resellers/competition on the sale of Apple products on the Amazon website

Source: https://www.cnmc.es/prensa/incoacion-sancionador-Apple-Amazon-20210701

Last edited:
I'm surprised that it's only Spain doing this. This sounds like a job for the European Commission. I'm sure that Amazon and Apple wouldn't care much about losing Spain's market but the entire EU would be devastating to them.

My Opinion: Rightfully so and well-deserved.

Back