SPDIF connection setup

By phantomlink
Jan 23, 2008
  1. Ok, my PC has SPDIF output on it for digital audio output ( as I assume ) and i'm trying to get something hooked up so I can finally leave the analog sound and move onto digital. I took at a look at the back of my TV, and it has a SPDIF connection there as well. Are the different types of cables for these connections? They appear to be the fiber optical cable style ( not the analog plug ends ). I assume I Just need to get the proper cable, plug it from my computer into my TV and i'll have sound coming out my TV speakers instead of some junky pc speakers or a headset.

    Also is SPDIF just an advanced version of the old Optical? I took a look at my mom's sorround sound system and it has Optical on the back, and my ps3 has an optical out on the back as well, just dont know if SPDIF cables would work the same or if they are a new breed all on their own.

    Thanks in advanced
  2. Cinders

    Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

    There are two types of digital audio signal connectors, well three if you include HDMI. There is an optical connector (yes one style of connector) and an electrical RCA jack. Both cary digital signals. The optical cable is supposed to be better than the electrical RCA jack. If it is better I can't tell the difference, and I really don't know why the optical cable would be better. I mean that the signal is converted from an electrical pulse to a light pulse back to a digital electrical pulse when the electrical RCA jack needs no conversion at all.

  3. Mictlantecuhtli

    Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

    Are you sure the TV has S/PDIF in, not out?

    If it really is input, then yes, all you need to do is to connect the machines with a Toslink cable (that's what it's called). Note, however, that while many PC soundcards / -chips have S/PDIF out, they don't all have multichannel output support via it, as it requires the signal to be encoded in Dolby Digital or DTS.

    If they all have only S/PDIF outputs, then you'll need an amplifier that has a S/PDIF input connector (I guess that's obvious enough).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...