Speeding up drive access

I have an internal Seagate 2tb sata sshd which I changed out from a normal 2tb internal hard drive I have not noticed any difference in speed, on the meta it still says something like 5.1 rating. it is installed on a asus z170 pro gaming motherboard with 16gb ddr4, and an i7 6700k cpu, and an evga gtx 980 TI hybrid video card, windows 7 pro operating system.

I am using the sata cables that came with the motherboard, and plugged into the onboard sata controller. as far as I can tell I have everything wired up correctly. it just takes a minute or two to fully log in. any idea what would make it speed up any faster?

I don't know why but most of the time my hard drive is showing as 100 percent use and takes time for apps to even show that their loading from time to time. it is like the swap file is being taxed to the max.

as it is I am considering getting an solid state drive. I just don't have enough money saved up for that yet and I am trying to make due with what I have.

It sounds like you might have a software issue causing full disk usage all the time. Have you disabled superfetch?

Also, when you get an SSD, I highly recommend the WD Blue series (link: http://amzn.to/2qpYjRk ). They are just as good as the Samsung EVO drives everyone raves about, but cost a decent bit less.

I did use cc cleaner on it before I posted this and uninstalled some games, it had over 50 gigs of hard drive space available, my brother later mention about some people had stolen nsa software and were using it to hack people's pcs, it's a possibility I might have been one of the targets being hacked. which might explain this situation as well. I think I did use seagate tools on it before also. it still is not going as fast as id like it to, going to look at the manual and make sure the drive is connected to the fastest sata port as well on the z170 pro gaming board

It sounds like you might have a software issue causing full disk usage all the time. Have you disabled superfetch?

Also, when you get an SSD, I highly recommend the WD Blue series (link: http://amzn.to/2qpYjRk ). They are just as good as the Samsung EVO drives everyone raves about, but cost a decent bit less.

I was thinking of getting an ssd drive also when I am able, it might be going as fast as it can go, due to the rpms, ill have to check on superfetch, I didn't know that was a setting, during that time I heard there was stolen nsa tech that people where using to hack each other as well, I might have been one of the victims. I also made sure that there where not multiple anti virus running at the same time, it's not pegged all the time now, it's only for a short time after startup.
still it is not performing as well as I would like it to.

Back