Spider-Man Remastered GPU Benchmark: 1080p, 1440p & 4K Test

"Spider-Man Remastered is an old console game that was remastered for PlayStation 5 and now it's arrived to PC and we're taking a look at GPU performance, because why not."
- I can think of a very good reason why not. What this article fails to mention (for whatever reason) is that this is a title that had nVidia involved in its development. Therefore, Markham hasn't had an opportunity to properly optimise the Adrenalin driver package for this game. Now, sure, AMD says that optimisations were done but there is one massive clue that they weren't given enough time to optimise the game properly.

What tipped me off was the fact that the RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT were churning out the exact same frame rates. I also see the RTX 3060 Ti handily out-performing the RX 6950 XT (in what universe does that make sense?). When I see two tiers of cards with the same frame rates or performance numbers that should be impossible, I know that there is an issue with driver optimisation. Of course, since GeForces aren't having these issues, it made me think that nVidia must have been involved. This is because in 100% of cases that I've seen things like this, nVidia really was involved. I figured I'd do a little investigation into this discrepancy.

So, a little "sleuthing" on my part (by "sleuthing", I mean typing "Spider-Man Remastered for PC nVidia" in Google) showed me the result that I was looking for immediately (first result actually). As it turns out, this game is a collaboration with nVidia, which is why Radeons are hamstrung at the moment:
"Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered is out now on PC, and we’re proud to have collaborated with PlayStation, Insomniac Games and Nixxes Software to bring GeForce RTX gamers the definitive PC experience, enhanced with NVIDIA DLSS, NVIDIA DLAA, NVIDIA HBAO+, NVIDIA G-SYNC, NVIDIA Surround, and upgraded ray tracing."
- From nVidia's own website, click the text to read the whole thing.

This probably would have been appropriate to include in the article but it wasn't. Steve also didn't ask his usual questions like "With the RTX 3060 Ti handily beating the RX 6950 XT here, it's obvious that there are driver issues at play." but instead used wording that could easily mislead someone who doesn't know better to believe that RDNA2 just plain sucks in this title.

I think that benchmarking this title at this time gives nVidia an unfair advantage. These numbers make it crystal clear to anyone who understands GPUs that the Adrenalin drivers are not properly-optimised for this game.

I think that this game should be revisited in about a month because all that this article has really told us is that nVidia cards are much faster when they're involved in the development of the game, especially when Markham hasn't had a chance to do a proper driver implementation. There is literally NO WAY IN HELL that the RTX 3060 Ti is faster than even the RX 6800, let alone the RX 6950 XT in any title so this article has really told us nothing except that the game is out, it looks really good and that nVidia cards are much faster at the moment.

I've always been fair in my treatment of Steve Walton and I've never tried to hide the fact that I greatly admire his work. While this article is not up to his usual impeccable standards, I do not believe that he is anything other than 100% impartial and my post is not meant to imply otherwise.

Last edited:
The numbers dont tell the whole story, not by a long shot with this title.

the game is choppy as hell while playing it, my rig 5600x, 6800xt, 32gigs ram, nvme and its not smooth while swinging through the city at 1080p.

I played the game originally on a ps4pro and it was buttery smooth for 30fps, the pc version really shows how well optimized it was for that console,

as someone who bought the pc version day1 I would say to wait until they fix whatever is going on with the game while swinging through the city, thats the games best part and as of right now its just not up to par with the ps4 imo.

AMD got destroyed in this game

6950XT get beaten by RTX 3080

6500XT get beaten by GTX 1650 and 6 year old GTX 1060 6GB

I wish if you included CPU tests

Oh for sure, the RTX 2080 Super is a beast of a card! I'd say that you can expect it to be good for even longer than that because image upscaling will only get better over time with the advancement of our technology.
That and I'm running an Ryzen 9 5900X with 64 Gigs of RAM. Of course m.4 SSD's. (Samsung 970 Pro's). While I like to think about upgrades, it makes absolutely no sense! I'm just a pure sucker for technology. I'm really glad AMD made so many processors for the AM4. It allowed me to upgrade my CPU without any other changes.

That and I'm running an Ryzen 9 5900X with 64 Gigs of RAM. Of course m.4 SSD's. (Samsung 970 Pro's). While I like to think about upgrades, it makes absolutely no sense! I'm just a pure sucker for technology. I'm really glad AMD made so many processors for the AM4. It allowed me to upgrade my CPU without any other changes.
WOW, a 5900X with 64GB of RAM, an RTX 2080 and 4 Samsung 970 Pros?

That's it, the next time you call yourself cheap, I'm going to yell:

"LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!!" :D

AMD got destroy in this game

Actually a 3060 Ti was able to match a 6950XT so you know something is not right when that happens. It tells me AMD needs to optimize their drivers for this game more. I seen that Nvidia had worked with the game Dev and playstation to optimize the game for their GPu's infact it's on Nvidia's site posted by them on how proud they were about working on the game to perfect it for their own hardware.

This tells me why AMD cards were hamstrung in this game at least for now until AMD figures out how to unravel the crap Nvidia got put in there to make their hardwar shine and AMD hardware suck in this one game. As I said when a 3060Ti is able to match a 6950XT you know something is not right in GPU land as this should never happen considering the 6900XT &6950XT are leaps and bounds faster than a 3060Ti.

I am surprised that Steve Walton never picked up on this or mentioned it in the write up he did.

AMD got destroy in this game
What do you expect, it's an nVidia title and just got released about a week ago.
Did you also notice that the RX 6800 and RX 6800 XT had the exact same frame rates? There's obviously a driver issue here because Markham didn't have enough time to properly optimise the Adrenalin software suite. I'm willing to bet that the next Adrenalin release will fix things and then the 6950 XT won't get beat by the 3060 Ti. Things will look far more normal. The problem is that this information isn't in the article when it should be.
Well, because of the driver issues, I think that the game should be revisited in a month anyway.

Nvidia sure had a heck of a time working with the game dev and playstation on this game to make sure their GPU's shined in the game and AMD sucked in the game. Nvidia has it posted on their own site that they worked closely with the game dev and playstation blah blah blah.

Anyways I don't have RDNA or RDNA 2 card but I do have a Vega 64 with HBM2 OC and slight core OC and an under volt and the game ran fine for me. It was smooth while fighting and also when swinging through the streets. I was getting 91-117 FPS with spikes up to 167 FPS from time to time on very high 1080p.

I tried the FSR 2.0 it boosted the FPS even more but as I did not need it I turned it off and I also noticed the smoke effects looked a bit different with FSR 2.0 turned on slightly less smooth looking. With those 167 FPS spikes I am sure once AMD gets the drivers optimized better for the game and by passes some of Nvidia's road blocks I'll see more FPS closer in range to that 167 FPS or not..lol

Edited:
If it matters my CPU is a Ryzen 7 5800x auto OC boosting to 5050Mhz and I have 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz memory at CL16

the game is choppy as hell while playing it, my rig 5600x, 6800xt, 32gigs ram, nvme and its not smooth while swinging through the city at 1080p.

I played the game originally on a ps4pro and it was buttery smooth for 30fps, the pc version really shows how well optimized it was for that console,

as someone who bought the pc version day1 I would say to wait until they fix whatever is going on with the game while swinging through the city, thats the games best part and as of right now its just not up to par with the ps4 imo.
It's an nVidia game that was released a week ago. There's no way that Markham had time to properly optimise the Adrenalin drivers and that has to be the problem. I'm willing to bet that the next Adrenalin release will bring massive gains to the Radeon cards with regard to frame rates and stuttering.

It's an nVidia game that was released a week ago. There's no way that Markham had time to properly optimise the Adrenalin drivers and that has to be the problem. I'm willing to bet that the next Adrenalin release will bring massive gains to the Radeon cards with regard to frame rates and stuttering.
but arent the consoles all AMD parts? the game should run better than that right.

Actually a 3060 Ti was able to match a 6950XT so you know something is not right when that happens. It tells me AMD needs to optimize their drivers for this game more. I seen that Nvidia had worked with the game Dev and playstation to optimize the game for their GPu's infact it's on Nvidia's site posted by them on how proud they were about working on the game to perfect it for their own hardware.

This tells me why AMD cards were hamstrung in this game at least for now until AMD figures out how to unravel the crap Nvidia got put in there to make their hardwar shine and AMD hardware suck in this one game. As I said when a 3060Ti is able to match a 6950XT you know something is not right in GPU land as this should never happen considering the 6900XT &6950XT are leaps and bounds faster than a 3060Ti.

I am surprised that Steve Walton never picked up on this or mentioned it in the write up he did.

What about the fact if was originally made for a platform that is AMD APU based?

Steve, you do great work.

Lets see the cpu test, Id love for you to bring them back.

I mss the days of game benchmark articles with a decent range of gpu’s on PAGES, then the last page was CPU’s

2500k, 3770, 4790k, lol those were the days. You could really get a feel for how the game was gonna do on your system AND get an idea of what upgrading could do to boost your frames. Ah the good ol days.

My guess is the game will run just fine as it was built on jaguar AMD cores

Also, I understand the game was ported, but my god the AMD performance is terrible for a game originally made for what is basically an AMD APU.

I don't have any choppiness on a 5800X+6800XT+32GB @ 3440x1440 game is not even on my NVME drive its loaded on Raid 0 SSDs

And here is me swinging through the city. This video was captured before the recent patch also. Gpu usage is high 97-99% and all 8 cores get a good workout. SAM is also on.

Last edited:
Yeah, and for some reason, that information didn't make it into this article.
I'm sure improvements will come but Nvidia gonna Nvidia. Game is pretty overated anyway, I played it on ps4 pro. Ubisoft-esque open world checklist game, with Arkham style combat, yawn.

WOW, a 5900X with 64GB of RAM, an RTX 2080 and 4 Samsung 970 Pros?

That's it, the next time you call yourself cheap, I'm going to yell:

"LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!!" :D
I'm cheap now when it comes to things. I save up and only pay for what can be paid off within 30 days so that I can capitalize on CC points. Hell, I've made quite a bit of money using my CC. If I can't pay something off in 30 days, I don't buy it.

That's a lie. My car just made me eat my words, same with my house. :(

Well in case you hadn't already known this before hand, the 6400 is steaming POS and an utter embarrassment for AMD. As I said when I saw the specs this will be a 720p card at best. 576p with ultra settings. Well done AMD.

Apparently, my 3080 is being held back by my i7-8700K (6 core). I am only getting 60 FPS with dips to high 40s running High Quality + High Ray Tracing at 4K. (DLSS fixes this of course but I want all the FPS)

I may have to break down and put my old 3900X in the living room PC.

Last edited:
Back