Sprint to launch iPhone 5 with unlimited data next month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple's next-generation iPhone will launch on Sprint's network next month alongside AT&T and Verizon Wireless. In an effort to distinguish themselves from the competition, the third largest US wireless provider will offer an unlimited data service plan with Apple's handset, says Bloomberg.

Sprint offers an unlimited data and talk package for smartphone users priced at $99.99 per month. Launching the iPhone 5 with a similar package could tempt current AT&T and Verizon customers on tiered plans to jump ship.

Both AT&T and Verizon initially offered unlimited data plans with the iPhone but have since moved to tiered plans. AT&T discontinued the package for new customers in June 2010 with Verizon following suit in July 2011. Customers who signed up for the plan before the switch were grandfathered in.

Evidence continues to mount which implicates Sprint as the next carrier to offer the popular smartphone.

The Wall Street Journal ran a story last month claiming Sprint would pick up the iPhone in mid-October. Last week a leaked Best Buy document indicated that the chain is expecting to take preorders for the iPhone 5 starting in October with Sprint listed as a carrier. Around the same time we reported that Sprint was raising their early termination and upgrade fees, possibly in a move to make a quick buck in the event that the carrier does release the iPhone next month.

The Bloomberg report also says that Sprint has postponed the launch of an unnamed 4G smartphone to prepare for the iPhone. Yesterday Sprint announced that they were delaying the BlackBerry Curve 9350 to October, although this isn't a 4G phone.

Permalink to story.

Archean said:
Amazing ........... No iSheep drooling over this thing so far?
Is that the best you could come up with? Really? I'm pretty sure every major brand has fanboys and fangirls. Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Apple, Google, Microsoft. Even brands outside of tech, Ford vs. Chevy. Hell even McDonald's probably has some pretty hardcore fanboys.

Anyways, I'm somewhat tempted to go to a carrier offering an "unlimited" plan with the iPhone and bring a hardcover dictionary with me and show the sales person the definition of UNLIMITED to determine whether or not this is actually unlimited. You know, doing so in the most sarcastic and smart *** way just to mess with them.

I think the 79.99 for Unlimited Data, Messaging, and calling to any mobile (same plan mentioned without unlimited talk) should be mentioned as well.

I wanted a Samsung Galaxy S2 but Verizon sucks so I will probably be getting this...and I hate Apple...but I want the best no matter what it is.

Well considering the service and coverage of Sprint is absolute TRASH they need to offer unlimited data because you will never have a connection to do anything. I was a Sprint/Nextel customer for 3 years and that was the worst 3 years of a cell phone I could have ever had. Since switching to Verizon and having them for almost 6 years now I will never switch to another service provider. If you were smart you would have grandfathered yourself in with an Unlimited Data plan on Verizon's Network before the Iphone releases. I had my Blackberry for 2 years so I will be getting the Iphone 5 with Unlimited Data and I am sure there are plenty of others out there that will be in the same boat.

I have sprint with an EVO 4G and this service beats the **** out of the crappy AT&T dropped call service i had for two years with my previous iphone. i will definitley get the new iphone with Sprint.

I live out in a wooded area of Alabama and although the signal isn't always great, I have the bars to make a call. And when you figure in unlimited roaming it doesn't matter weather sprint covers the area or not, someone does.

I also Have the Evo 4G and its the BOMB! I know sprints service isn't the best coverage but I have maybe had a dropped call once in the five years I've been with them. Usually if your out of their service rage you get full bars on roaming and since sprint don't charge you for roaming who cares! Plus if your with Amway you get 18% off your bill each month! AT@T and Verizon cant come close to Sprints prices!

sprint user here too , and also a heavy user , and i make my living out of craiglist buying and selling cars , and sprint is a tool for me not a luxury , and they been doing great so far , good signal no drop call ever , also great speed anywhere I go (3g) , its kinda hard with 4g but its still new

Guest said:
Well considering the service and coverage of Sprint is absolute TRASH they need to offer unlimited data because you will never have a connection to do anything. I was a Sprint/Nextel customer for 3 years and that was the worst 3 years of a cell phone I could have ever had. Since switching to Verizon and having them for almost 6 years now I will never switch to another service provider. If you were smart you would have grandfathered yourself in with an Unlimited Data plan on Verizon's Network before the Iphone releases. I had my Blackberry for 2 years so I will be getting the Iphone 5 with Unlimited Data and I am sure there are plenty of others out there that will be in the same boat.

Psst, Sprint roams on Verizon, so where Verizon has coverage, Sprint will.

Back